Chapter 17.

Chapter 17.

Kizzy.

After hearing the front door slam I sit up and peer out of the window. Phoenix is flying away for the moment. Good riddance! I head for Benita's room and knock softly on the door.

"B, you ok? Can I come in? "

She croaks a reply so I take that as a yes. Pushing the door open I'm surprised to see her still in her dressing gown.

She looks at me tearfully, "I'm going to need you to open up for me Kiz, not feeling well."

God, she looks awful. I bound over to her bed and give her the once over.

"You do look bad...and I guess it's only going to get worse."

"Gee, thanks! Love you too."

I shrug, "Just saying, also do you really think it's a good time to be tied down by a baby? What about the shop and what about me?"

Oops, that slipped out before I could stop myself but give B her due, she takes it in her stride and ignores me. She more than knows how tetchy I get when anything threatens our relationship. I cling like a leech to her as she is my only family and I don't want to lose her to any dodgy guy or baby!

I check my hair in the mirror, it's looking pretty nice, all long and dead silky. It's good to look like me again and not have to worry about the Police picking me up. I turn to face her,

"This baby B...you need to deal with this ASAP." I swallow heavily not really wanting to hear the answer to my question, "Have you told him yet?"

Benita shakes her head, "No not yet, my head's all over the place. Don't know what I want."

I sense an opening, "Good, well how about I make a Doctor's appointment...like today?"

She stares at the floor miserably. "Today..."

"Yes, no time like the present."

"I will Kizzy but for now I need you to go and open up for me...please."

"Don't you want me with you then?"

"Kizzy!"

I know when I'm beat and leave the room.

Tam, Jed, and Star.

Tam was spread-eagled in the chair with a sock stuffed in his mouth. His legs and arms were firmly tied and he was furious, but fear was perching, waiting slyly on his shoulder. Something told him that this wasn't going to end well.

Jed sat in front of him jeering and pointing a gun while Star ransacked the room for money and jewellery. His eyes traveled to the luxury furniture and the flashy Television and music systems. Porn was obviously a lucrative business. Star called over pointing to a cupboard in the corner.

"That's the safe baby. He's got loads of money in there as well as sex tapes of girls that he's planning to blackmail."

Jed turned to Tam who was crying buckets of anger and fear. "What's the code for the safe fatty?"

Tam shook his head and bucked in the chair with frustration. Jed loomed in front of him, "What's the fucking code?"

He ripped the sock out of Tam's mouth and pointed the gun at his temple.

"4,3,2,1,X" rasped Tam wincing as a trickle of urine ran riot down his legs.

Star rushed over and began to type, "4, 3, 2...what was the rest?"

Jed growled, he had forgotten what a dumb bitch she was.

"Get your arse over here and I'll fucking do it."

He handed her the gun and she grabbed it shaking. Tam eyed her pleadingly imploring her to remember the kindness that he believed he had shown her.

Jed typed the code in but nothing happened. He tried again, nothing. A hot fire of fury blew up inside him sending him charging towards Tam and slapping him hard in the face.

"You think I've got time to play dumb ass games?" He took a deep breath, "Tell me the code or I'm going to kill you ok."

Tam gulped, his mind racing, "I've forgotten...I don't know...It's not my safe, it belongs to the business."

"He's lying!" shouted Star, He's in and out of it all day long."

Jed grabbed hold of Tam's face pressing his fingers hard into his temples. "The code..."

Tam cried and pleaded, he gave another code and another. None of them worked. Star was getting scared, this was not working out as easy as she had imagined. She handed the gun to Jed and peered out of the window nervously.

"Right for the last fucking time give me the fucking code, then we'll leave and you'll claim it all back and get on with your life."

Tam mumbled a code and pointed to a pen.

"No," said Jed, "Not untying you until the safe is open." He wrote the code down and typed it in quickly.

The safe unlocked and Jed sighed in frustration. "Where's the rest?" He could only see a couple of thousand at the most. He quickly pocketed the contents and called to Star, "This loser's pissing me off. Let's get out of here," He bagged the tapes, never one to turn down a business opportunity.

Star looked at Tam feeling a smidgeon of guilt. He had been kind of good to her, he didn't deserve this.

Jed seized her arm leading her towards the door then, turning back he clicked the silencer on the gun and fired it straight at Tam's head.