Chapter 7

.Chapter 7

Kizzy

Phoenix arrives 2 hrs later, he looks better he has obviously accepted the idea. He goes straight to Lucky and picks her up. I take off my apron and grab my jacket, "All yours I'm off for a break." He doesn't answer, RUDE.

I hurry out with the letter burning a hole in my pocket. What does this mean? What should I be watching for? I walk past Madam Jo-Jo's which seems to have yet another new name...it's lost some of that excitement, now it's just glittery and bland, pretty much like the rest of Soho.

I ponder on how weird it is the way that life shoves you on one path allowing you to get comfortable only to snatch it away in the next breath and place you somewhere alien. Nothing is certain...apart from the fact that Dante and I will have a showdown.

Dante.

She will have looked at my letter by now. I'm chuckling in embarrassment at the thought of writing those three little words but thinking about it in the cold light of day it really isn't that bad...I mean she's HOT, who wouldn't love her? But the fact remains that she took her life in her hands by drugging me and now I will take hers in mine.

Benita

She arrived at work smiling but flustered, kissing Phoenix and completely ignoring Lucky. Phoenix raised an eyebrow "Your daughter's been waiting for you..."

Benita rubs Lucky's head and walks away. Lucky looks at her Dad and starts to cry. Phoenix rushes to her, "It's ok, mummy's not feeling too well."

Benita strides back into the room, "I'm fine actually."

He looks at her coldly, "If you say so."

They have no more time to continue the conversation as Kizzy returns.

Kizzy

God the atmosphere is fucking freezing, "Hi." They look at me smiling lamely while Lucky chews on her dummy as if her life depends on it. I try again, "So what's going on...what's new?" No answer, great, always wanted to work in a prison!

Later on, I chat with Phoenix in the kitchen and he tells me that he saw B standing over Lucky's cot last night and that if he didn't know better he would have sworn that she was going to put a pillow over the baby's face. When he confronted her she snapped out of it but it was way scary! I can see we will have to watch her for sure.

Benita

After half a day at work, she felt exhausted and just wanted to climb into bed. Lucky would be ok, she didn't need her.

Laying back on the bed she closed her eyes envisaging her big day, positive that once she had the security of marriage everything would sort itself out.

Kizzy : Wedding Eve

Well, who would have thought it? One sleep away from my sister marrying my brother, how weird does that feel! I've heard nothing from the Dante of Darkness but I'm not dumb enough to think that that is it...but why the fuck is he haunting my dreams? It's like he's taken up residence in the corner of my head and refusing to be evicted. On a more positive note B seems a little better, not quite there yet but I'm hopeful. And she relented on a pink dress and said ok to a snazzy-looking pink suit and t-shirt...whew the relief is REAL haha.

On this special wedding eve, Phoenix is babysitting and B and I will hit the town for a few drinks...like if I can think of any latest hotspots, it's all changing and I'm clueless. Heard there's a place called Atlantic Bar but you have to be major trendy to get in...count us out then! Some customers said that the food served there is like a painting, all small and precise, ugh pretentious.

Phoenix knocks on my bedroom door, "Knock, knock."

"Who's there?" I play along.

"Just a poor brother worried about his favorite girls' going out and getting smashed."

I laugh and open the door, "Seriously no worries on that account, knowing B we'll be home by 11.30."

He smiles approvingly, "Glad to hear it, family matters."

I roll my eyes recalling my time in the box, did family matter then? Did anyone care then?

I pull out a pair of white jeans and slip them on followed by a black lace bra with a sheer black shirt over the top. I don't bother with jewelry way too fussy and besides I don't have any.

I pick up a pair of strappy black sandals which make me feel 6ft tall then change my mind and stick with trainers. Really can't get out of that mindset of 'what if I need to make a run for it!'

"B, you ready yet?"

I hear her bedroom door open and there she is, her long black curls cascading down her back. A red dress clings to all her curves. She looks stunning. Hope I don't have to fight the men off her.

"You look great B."

She smiles, "Thanks, you too."

I look away knowing that she's just being kind. My eyes travel down her body and stop at the highest heels that I've ever seen. Jesus, how the fuck do we do a quick exit in them!!

We both trundle downstairs to say bye to Phoenix and Lucky looks up, "Mama."

Benita kisses her on the head, "Mummy will be back later, be good for Daddy."

"Oh she will," said Phoenix confidently.

"Oh and don't keep her up too late," she adds as an afterthought.

He leads us gently to the door, "Just go and try to have some fun."

Then he turns to me, "But not too much."

I giggle just as the phone rings. He rushes to pick it up. "Hello?"

Silence, It's got to be Dad, who else? Phoenix hangs up, "Must be a wrong number."

We head for the tube cackling like school girls, "So where are we going?" asks Benita checking her face in the mirror.

I beam, proud of myself for having it all sussed, "Caspers in Soho."

She gasps, "That pick-up joint where they have phones on the table?"

I nod, "The very one. Come on B it'll be a riot."

She exhales then takes my arm, "Let's go."