Part 10

Chapter 10

Back in the box

I smooth down my hair, apply a light lip gloss, dab some cover stick, and smear on some foundation which I carefully blend in. I underline my eyes with a black pencil then change my mind and wipe it off. I view myself critically before deciding I look ok. Podge is snoring softly on the sleeping bag. I turn over and give him a kiss.

"Catch you later stinky."

London, my big bright city is out to play, buzzing with promise if you have money to spend. Lights twinkle and wink swirling around in a happy haze, and a ton of bricks lift from my shoulders.

I walk briskly through Hyde Park with my hands in my pockets. Many couples walk past, eyes only for each other and I scoff knowing that these women have no idea what their men are really like. One look and they'll be packing their darlings onto the next train and skulking back to me with dirty cash in sweaty hands. Loyalty is nothing more than a fairy tale.

I approach my secret sanctuary and climb through the hedge. A few minutes peaceful contemplation is needed before strolling into the abyss. The swans swim silently, drifting through the water creating eerie ripples. A few lone ducks nestle by the bank and observe me briefly before closing their eyes. One waddles over plucking manically at his feathers, eyeing me hopefully for some bread. I feel momentarily guilty that I've nothing to offer before returning my gaze to the river. The beauty is hypnotizing it's as if I'm watching my own private ballet. Enchanted I sit and swallow back tears which gather at the back of my throat. I pat the knife which rubs against my leg reassuringly pulling me back to reality, standing up I stretch and creep from the hedge, heading towards the lights. The park café is quiet, just a few stragglers left as I walk past to the main road. A small voice catches up with me.

"Excuse me...Miss?"

I swing around aggressively and the man steps back warily.

"Yes?"

"I was wondering if you were...free err...you know that kind of thing."

I place my finger on my head thoughtfully. "I ....um...yes could be."

His eyes light up and he rubs his hands together, all trace of nerves suddenly gone.

"Excellent."

"What did you have in mind?" I snap.

"Something different..."

I yawn loudly. "Oh, you all think you've got something different. I take it you've got money?"

He nods earnestly, "Just been to the cash point."

I smoothly slip my arm into his, "My kind of guy."

We walk along in awkward silence and I observe him slyly. I know he'll be no immediate danger. He looks about seventy. No doubt no wife, just some shy old pervert with nothing better to spend his money on. The knife gives me a new fearless power, so much so that I've no qualms about house visits, Now I have the Devil at my side and he's not going anywhere.

We walk to Victoria and he leads me to a council flat which looks luxurious compared to the dive in Camden. He opens the door trembling slightly and invites me inside. I enter slowly and am heartened to see that he doesn't lock the door. A net curtain billows gently in the front room window. My eyes travel towards the leather sofa and the chocolate brown satin cushions. Which are surprisingly modern for such an oldie.

He gestures for me to sit and I perch on the edge primly while he shuffles to the kitchen to put the kettle on. A silver-framed photograph of a sweet old lady sits proudly on the mantelpiece.