Part 19

Chapter 19

We eat in silence. Delicate little tuna and cucumber sandwiches all lined up on a bed of crispy lettuce and lemon slices with a fresh pot of Earl Grey tea. I pick one up and bite hungrily into it while he smiles fondly.

"They're Marks and Spencer," he says proudly, "I know you always loved them."

I carry on eating and call to Podge. He cautiously creeps towards me and I feel guilty for offering him false hope. I haven't a clue if we'll get out alive.

"The day I placed you in care...that awful place was the worst time of my life. I hope you understand that I needed time to think and get myself back together. It wasn't easy darling."

I look at him without feeling," You mean after you killed my mum..."

He groans, "You really aren't prepared to let this go are you? I was hoping we could forgive and forget...you know... clean plate, move forward."

Rage explodes as I stand up and pace around the room like a caged animal.

"I want you to let me go NOW and I'm not leaving without Gale!"

He shakes his head in exasperation, "Impossible. You'd have every Police officer in the country on my doorstep and believe it or not I genuinely want us to be a family again...don't you want that?"

"We can never be a family, you're nothing to me."

He exhales, "Melissa if you persist in being stubborn then I shall have to exercise some tough love."

He shakes his head sadly, "I hate to do it but you leave me no choice."

He stands up and smooths down the creases on his trousers.

"Right let's go and give our house guest a visit."

He heads towards the cellar door and gestures for me to follow. The steps are surprisingly narrow like following a yellow brick road to Hell. Loud creaks echo with every step. I cover my nose overcome by the stench of mould. I shiver at the thought of all the horrors that must have gone on. A strong presence of Lulu swirls around me which I take comfort from. We walk along a small corridor in silence, our feet echoing softly in time with the dripping from the walls. He stops outside a wooden door and produces a key from his back pocket.

"Now I must warn you...his appearance may come as a bit of a shock, but take a nice deep breath and you'll be fine."

He smirks deviously as if he's allowing me access to a marvellous secret. My heart begins to bang loudly and I tear at my cuticles while cautiously following him inside. All of a sudden the bravado I felt has vanished leaving me with frightened useless Melissa. This isn't good as I need Kizzy to get me out of here alive.

My Dad walks to the corner of the room and stands still with his hands on his hips.

"Wakey wakey, I've got a visitor for you fairy boy."

I gasp as I stare at Gale strapped to the bed, naked apart from a pair of bloodied pants. His face is a mass of rainbow-coloured bruises and his arms hang limply as if they're broken. I wonder wildly if his legs are ok... I need him to be able to walk if we're to have any chance of escaping. I run to him and throw my arms around his neck, he groans in agony. I leap back frantic. No idea what my next move will be.

"Gale, what's he done to you? Oh my God...Look I'm going to get us out of here I promise!"

My Dad cackles as his eyes run with tears of laughter and genuine curiosity.

"Ah how touching, you really do care, don't you? Pity he's not going to be around for much longer."

I run at him with fists flying, hitting and pinching with all my might while he laughs hysterically allowing me a small reprieve. When he grows bored he picks me up and dumps me roughly on a chair next to the bed. "Now Princess if you know what's good for you you'd better not move."