Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Kizzy

I open the door and close it softly. The house is thick with Phoenix's presence. I kick off my trainers and creep up to my room. Dropping my clothes on the floor I pull on an oversized t-shirt and flop down on the bed. Podge and Cheto nudge the door open and jump up beside me. Just like old times...almost. The only difference is the silence. It is a huge empty silence as if London has spat me out and left me to rot.

The next morning I'm up with the lark ready to hit the park with the dogs. Benita's pottering around in the kitchen.

"Hi," she said.

"Hi...You on your own?"

"Yeah, he's left for work."

"Work... Have you found out what he actually does yet?"

If that fucker works I'll run down the road naked!

Benita shrugs, "Dunno...something important."

I laugh, "Yeah must be."

"You hate him don't you?"

"It's not that..." Okay, here we go.

"What is it then?"

"He's just so shady B. Don't know what it is but he's hiding something, mark my words."

Her face falls, I hate the fact that I'm worrying her.

Benita looks past me, "Yeah maybe."

Both dogs yank me along snorting and dribbling happily. I run with them enjoying the feeling of the wind rushing around my hair. Lulu jumps into my mind and my eyes mist over, I miss her wisdom. I think about my Dad and wonder if he has any remorse. Ha, wishful thinking, he's so empty he rattles.

His letters mean nothing to me, but they are weirdly comforting and give me a little buzz. He obviously misses me and I can just hear him saying "Come here sweet pea, you're still my little girl, you know that don't you?"

I sit on the grass and pick at the clumps it sure beats the Hell out of picking holes in my fingers. I run a finger down a long scar on my arm and shiver. The desire to cut and release has never left but for now, I've managed to keep it at bay...thanks to Todd... but Todd is gone and I can't expect Benita to babysit me for the rest of my life.

Benita leaves home for the shop. I follow a little later spying Star loitering on Brewer Street.

"Star!"

A huge smile spreads across the girl's face and we run towards each other arms open for an awkward hug.

"Kiz, you was just on my mind."

"Yeah... All good I hope."

She laughs, "It sure was...so what're you up to today?"

I roll my eyes, "Work, thrilling."

Star beams, "Well have I got a gig for you."

I listen as she babbles on, "How'd you like to help out on a video shoot at Barnes today? No participation required."

"Barnes, where's that then?"

"Not far, Tam and the guys have rented this dead posh house you'd be no more than five hours at the most." She hesitates, "Longer if you end up enjoying yourself."

She giggles mischievously waiting for my inevitable excuse.

"Well, I'm expected at the shop," I say.

Star laughs, "Take a sick day, isn't that what happens in proper jobs?"