Part 11

Chapter 11

Tonight night has a somber atmosphere, I can't quite put my finger on it but the flurry of new girls on my patch surely isn't helping. Since running away Soho has become my 'special place'. I am a fixture, someone that stall holders will shout out 'Hi' and wink to as I make my way to the office. New girls are met with suspicion as a pimp is normally hidden in the shadows and I've got no desire to get tangled up with one of those. Crossing the road onto Brewer Street I wave at Lulu getting into a blue Vauxhall with tinted windows. I watch as the car speeds away with an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Todd is busy when I enter the shop. He looks up briefly not recognizing me at first then gestures for me to sit and wait. I sit inhaling the heavenly smell while picking at my nails. After a few minutes, he returns with a carrier bag and presses it into my hand solemnly

"Sorry," I offer sheepishly, "I was busy and forgot to stop by...sorry."

He walks away shaking his head and I creep from the shop feeling chastised. I push the feeling to the back of my mind. 'It's hardly my fault if he worries about me.'

As I enter the office I'm appalled to find two girls sitting at my table. I stand glaring until Gale's voice distracts me.

"Hey... over here!"

I turn around to find him squeezed into a tiny corner table. Irritation floods through me.

"Why are those bitches' at our table?"

"Chill out Kiz, it's no big deal. Sit I'll get coffee."

I sit down huffily glaring at the girls who look away smirking. The noise from the coffee machine hisses and splutters, echoing through my ears, taunting my bad mood. I lean into Gale. "I've just seen Lulu... she was getting into some car that took off like a bat out of Hell."

He places his cigarette into the ashtray and I watch the smoke rise like a dragon.

"Did you see the punter...kind of car?"

"I think it was a Vauxhall...I mean it wasn't posh or anything. Oh yeah! It had black windows you know, pimp style."

He leans forward with a look of concern.

"That sounds like the loon who beat me up, you know the nut job? Pays well but I don't think he's all there."

He drifts for a moment reliving his ordeal. "Can't imagine Lulu being able to handle him somehow..."

My eyes widen. "Should we go and find her? You know deal with him, teach him a lesson..."

Gale shakes his head. "He could have taken her anywhere, he struck me as very devious...I was lucky to get away with my life you know."

I roll my eyes unsure if this is just another one of Gale's drama-filled exaggerations. "Jeez, I thought I was going to make some money tonight, I didn't bank on having to look for Lulu as well."

I tut and Gale pats my hand. "We'll work together. It'll be safer that way."

Lulu.

Lulu wakes up on the bed disorientated, her vision is fuzzy and it takes a moment to remember where she is. Someone is standing in front of her but she can't make out who as her eyes refuse to open.

"Aah you're awake."

"Where am I?" she says, a cold fear creeping into her heart.

He titters like a naughty child. "Don't tell me you've forgotten already, dear oh dear, you ladies'."