Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Kizzy

I see a tramp scuttle towards me with his trolley of worldly possessions, hope he doesn't come over to chat. I hold my breath as he bustles past and try to focus...gather my thoughts...Fucking Dante...where would he take her? I drift off with a thick stick tightly in my hand. My dreams are troubled, laden with guilt and fear as I run down one dark road to another.

As dawn breaks my eyes fly open...I'm desperate to use the loo. I jump up, first things first, public toilet then action. I'm amazed at how easily I have resorted back to being 14...you know reverting to type, being adaptable, all that shit. I am 100% the living embodiment of Kizzy fly by night...the girls on the street named me well.

Finding a loo I'm dismayed to find that it's bloody not open until 7am!...oh well a bush it is. The relief is Heaven. The first thing I'm going to do is call Benita and see if she's planning on letting me back...next, Soho where else? If Dante's hiding out he could be there if not someone's bound to have heard of him, so I'm putting my Detective hat on.

I walk back towards Marble Arch and nip into a payphone. My fingers are stiff with apprehension...what if she says no...What then?

I dial slowly taking a deep breath. It rings and rings and I'm just about ready to hang up when Phoenix answers, "Hello?

His voice is tired, he sounds beyond exhausted. "Phoenix it's me."

He sighs, "Look Kiz things are still raw. We've had no updates...B hasn't slept all night AND the fucker called. He has our baby!"

He fucking called? Like Really? What a shithead.

"I know how you all must be feeling," I say a tad unconvincingly.

"Are you ok?" he asks as an afterthought.

"Well no actually I'm not. I've been kicked out of my home for something that I didn't do...it's hardly fair."

"But Kiz...listen."

"Don't 'but Kiz' me, it's not fair. I want to help! Lucky's my family too!"

He sighs heavily, "Look I'll talk to her, call me back later."

"But what about the Bakery then...will you open?"

"It's closed until further notice."

"Well, couldn't I stay there until she calms her arse down?"

I hear a sharp intake of breath...I may have gone too far.

"Kiz it's not about calming herself down, her baby, I mean OUR baby is missing. Get with the fucking programme!"

"FINE!" I slam the receiver down and kick the door. I am so going to strangle that fucking fucker Dante and then I'm going to stab the fucking daylights out of him! Cut him up...throw him in the Thames...

Breathing heavily I comfort myself with the knowledge that he didn't outright say no I can't move back...where there's hope there's always still a chance and hope has kept me alive for all these years. It's my special word, my comfort... I exhale and blow out all the toxic anger. This will all work out fine, it has to.