Chapter 66

Chapter 66

Benita.

Fuming she marched over to Kizzy, "So are you and that waster ok again?... Tell me the truth, I'll know if you're lying!"

Benita watched as her sister shook her head overly protesting. She knew all the signs but decided to drop it for the moment as she didn't have the energy.

"I've got a scan next week...you want to come with us?"

Kizzy looked up guiltily then said "Maybe." It did not sound convincing at all.

"Maybe...like what? You're going to be an aunty!" Benita took a deep breath trying to ground herself, something was wrong.

"I know B but shit happens doesn't it?"

Benita walked away, "Well you'd better make sure it doesn't OK."

Kizzy.

I'm being given the silent treatment, her looks that say I know you're up to shit, but you'd better not be if you know what's good for you.

As bad as I feel for worrying her it's far too late to back out, I'm committed and I don't think I could remove myself from the path if I tried. An hour later the phone rings and I make sure to dive for it.

Star's breathing is rapid as she talks in ghosted whispers, "Tonight 11 pm."

"I need your address," I say grabbing a pen and napkin. After jotting it down I hang up before B notices. The wheels are in motion and I think back to my rapist and the look of shock on his face when I stood over him with the knife, how easy it had felt, how natural and satisfying to get rid of a bad person.

Tonight I will sail through number 2 and walk away untouched. Whether that is due to the hand of the Devil or pure luck who knows... This has to be done.

9 pm

I dress carefully, nothing out of the ordinary, jeans, black boots, a black T-shirt and my usual Levi jacket. I wrap a long black scarf around my neck for good measure, not bothering with makeup as it's only going to get washed off.

Despite knowing the ending I'm curious about Dante and if he actually knew about the kid trafficking before Jed's death. I shake some sense into my head, of course, he fucking did, and now because it suits he's turned blackmailer, more than happy to throw Star to the Wolves. Piece of shit.

Heading downstairs I peer in at Benita. She's curled up on the sofa with Phoenix and her eyes are nearly closed.

Phoenix looks up smiling, "You ok Sis?"

I nod.

"Going anywhere nice?"

I put a finger to my lips to hush him and turn to leave.

"So where you going at this time of night?" squeaks Benita.

Shit! Turning boldly I give her a cheeky grin, "Nowhere major, just a date."

Well technically true.

She springs up, "A DATE! Tell me."

I laugh and wave my hand, "Later B I promise." And before she can say anything else I peg it to the front door.

I get off at Whitechapel and look around feeling slightly disorientated. No Mans' land. Whatever happened to Soho?

I head towards Brick Lane stopping for a moment to look at the big white church that seems to dominate the area. I pass the Ten Bells Pub and think of Jack the Ripper. My interest is fired and I start to imagine all sorts.

The area is a yuppie shithole but you can still feel the darkness of the past. I wonder why Star chose to live here of all places...

The thing about London is you can never really hide. There's always some nosey bastard only too willing to stitch you up. I take the napkin out to check the address...ok should be just down this road.