Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Benita.

She ran into the garden to find Phoenix. On seeing her he quickly stubbed out his cigarette, mindful about starting another argument.

"Guess what?"

He shrugged not having a clue, "What?"

She is excited and can barely get the words out.

"I've just had the news on and THEN one of those Detectives rings me...there's been a sighting at the bloody Tower of London!"

"Don't believe it for a minute...I mean surely if you're on the run with a baby that you've abducted then the Tower is one of the last places you'd go."

Not wanting to hear this Benita ran back inside, "Well I'm waiting by the phone in case they find OUR DAUGHTER."

Phoenix reluctantly followed knowing full well that this would turn out to be a wild goose chase. He sat on the sofa with her and tried to take her hand she brushed him away and pointed to the TV. There is live coverage from the Tower. Undercover Police are mingling with the public but so far they have found no sightings and no leads. The Yeomen of the Guard are alert, their eyes scanning everyone suspiciously. It reminded Phoenix of one of those detective shows, having seen enough he got up turned the TV off and left the room.

Benita switched it straight back on.

Kizzy.

Kensington is so busy and for a brief moment, I wonder why I never tried my luck here when I was 14...I would have made a killing for sure. The place reeks of money and privilege.

I swiftly march past The Royal Garden Hotel and turn into Kensington Palace Gardens where I'm met by a huge oasis of green. Every path entices and all look endless...which one? Which one?

Pressing forward towards the Palace my heart is racing...she's in here somewhere, she has to be. I stop for a second in front of the imposing gates, unfriendly, superior, no riff raff allowed. I've never been inside but today I seem to have developed a sudden interest in the past...Not that I should be thinking about this at the moment but you know, it's weird isn't it? Today we're people walking and talking, living our best life, tomorrow just a moment in history...a page if you're lucky.

Hurrying on I spot the sparkling River with all the deck chairs scattered around in a neat circular strip. I look left then right. All I see are parents with rowdy kids, old people, and tourists. I sit down on one of the chairs and let my thoughts flow. The water is calming, hypnotic even. I could easily sleep here. After 10 minutes an old man taps me on the shoulder, "WHAT?" I snap.

He smiles holding out a letter, "You have an admirer."

I sit up, "What are you going on about?"

He points left just in time for me to see the back of what looks like Dante's head. I snatch the letter and run. The old guy tuts loudly, "A thank you costs nothing you know!"

Drop dead you stupid fucker.

I pelt in the direction that I think he went. Empty faces fly past, flowers crumple under my feet and families are scattered as I shove through them.

My eyes see everything, the squirrels rushing for cover, birds taking to the sky assuming that I'm a dangerous nut job. Nothing... Fucking NOTHING.

I find myself back near the entrance breathing heavily. I stop and open the letter, reading quickly,

'Janis,

Come to the main road by the Hotel. I'll be waiting for you. If you tell anyone you will never see Lucky again'.x