Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Morning already, I wake up and stretch. The low hum of voices drifts from downstairs and I strain my ears to listen. There is laughing... way too light-hearted for this time in the morning. I jump from bed slip on my flip flops and stomp downstairs. The kitchen door is closed so I linger with my ear pressed against the wood. Benita sounds giddy as a schoolgirl. I push open the door and am greeted by two smiling faces.

"Morning sis." Gushes Benita.

"Morning."

My gaze rests on the blonde man with the long flaxen hair. He is very handsome, with strong rugged features and large baby blue eyes with the longest lashes that I've ever seen on a guy. He grins and extends his hand. I look at it and walk away towards the sink. I know I'm being a bitch but I can't help it.

"This is Phoenix," said Benita, jumping in to release the tension.

"Phoenix," I repeat as if it were a dirty word.

"Rising from the ashes," he adds dramatically as if it somehow makes him more likable.

"Cool name," I offer grudgingly.

"Haven't we met before?" he says watching me intently.

I look him up and down and laugh, "I very much doubt it."

'His hawk eyes are very intense...probing almost.'

"Coffee?" asks Benita.

I nod while reaching for a slice of toast. I plaster it with butter and a huge dollop of jam.

Benita sighs, "Use a plate will you..."

I open my mouth and ram the whole slice in looking defiantly at her before grabbing my coffee and leaving the room.

"Sorry," said Benita, "She has anger issues...jealous too."

"I heard that!" I yell before stomping upstairs with their laughter ringing in my ears. I know it's stupid but I'm shaking, this is not good.

A few hours later I head into town with my brain churning. I have a great relationship with my sister and the last thing I need is some slimy con man coming in to break her heart. It will happen, I am sure of it, it's just a matter of when. It oozes from his syrupy smile and is enough to bring on toothache.

I walk down Piccadilly with a spring in my step and head for the little church gardens near Fortnum and Mason. Church gardens always clear my head and help me to think straight. I'll figure this all out somehow. The college forms poked out of my bag as if tapping me on the shoulder and I shove them out of sight. I just can't deal at the moment.

Sitting in the gardens nursing a coffee I exhale watching London rush by doing its thing. Sometimes these days I feel like an alien visitor, it's not a comfortable feeling.

A plan of action jumps into place. I will bide my time and watch. After all, that's what I do best and I owe it to Todd to watch out for my sister. We are a family and no one is going to change that. Standing up and brushing myself down, I make my way into Soho.

The sun is beaming and the sky is covered in a blanket of Indigo. My eyes scan the street corners half expecting to see Gayle and Lulu, maybe hoping is a better word. I shake my mind free and cross the road. My eyes focus on the alley behind the bakery and I shudder remembering the poor girl that was cut up and left in bin bags all those years ago. Turning towards the shop I stop as a familiar face comes into view.

"Hi," said Sue, her eyes blinking rapidly.

I see she has a nervous tick...never noticed that last time.

"Hey," I say, "You're out early."

"No rest for the wicked."

I walk to the front of the shop and Sue follows.

I hesitate, slightly irritated "Look, I've got to go to work now."

Sue hesitates before her face crumples in misery, "Yeah, me too."

We look at each other before I stand to one side and direct her inside the shop.

"Look, why don't you come in for a while? I can talk in between customers..."

Sue looks back at the street and then follows me in taking a seat near the window.

I have an immediate déjà vu feeling. Gayle and I had sat by the window of the Office many moons ago yet it seemed like yesterday. Funny how the world plays out...

I go to work, cinnamon buns out, donuts, pastries, sandwiches, coffee machine on, fridge re-stocked. Sue's presence is giving me conflicting feelings, as I try to leave the past where it belongs but here it is, slapping my face. I can well imagine Todd sighing and shaking his head. 'Get rid of her,' he'd say.

Placing a mug of coffee in front of Sue, I look at her silently.

She beams, "Those pastries look nice."

I bring back a raisin Danish, "Don't that guy give you any breakfast... money?"

Sue blushes. "Yes of course, just being greedy."

"Well as long as you don't think this is a free for all."

Sue stands up abruptly pushing her chair behind her. I watch her storm out, slamming the door.

'A more trapped version of me.' I think, my mind turning to Benita and Phoenix, now that's a real problem.