Chapter 31

Chapter 31.

Kizzy.

Jed seems very animated by the news Phoenix is the total opposite, he looks more anxious than I do.

"Look Jed you guys need to leave." I say, "Run while you can...what are you waiting for?"

Star looks at him, "She's right babe we can't stay here forever, we've got one chance and we need to take it."

He stretches out like a cat, "Dunno I'm beginning to feel pretty comfortable here...things could be a lot worse you know."

"And they could be a lot better," I pipe up, "Especially for us in OUR home."

He ignores that remark but I can sense his brain ticking over...shall I run for it...or take a chance and stick around? He's obviously not used to making any major decisions unless girls or money are involved. I watch him curiously he seems oddly childlike while the flash dangerous pimp is nowhere to be seen. Star at least seems to have her head screwed on. She's desperate to leave so why don't they just piss off!

Phoenix has been staring at me constantly and I truly believe that if he was holding a knife I'd be dead by now.

"Do you know I never really knew my Dad..." he starts.

I shrug, "Dads are not always everything they're cracked up to be."

He sneers, "Oh speak from experience do you?"

I hold his gaze, "You could say that."

Jed looks at one of us and then the other wondering where on earth this was going. It's chillier than the Antarctic. I turn to him, "Look we know you've wasted the Woodlouse and if I'm being honest I'm kind of ok with it but you don't want to be banged up Jed...and think of Star, there's no way she can cope inside."

He laughs nastily, "Couldn't really care less, as long as I'm ok..."

Star gasps, "But Babe!"

He waves his hand in dismissal, "Shut your mouth you stupid cunt."

She bites her lip in a bid to hold back the tears that leap out disloyally and run down her cheeks. I almost feel sorry for her.

Jed points at her laughing, "Or who knows maybe it was you that pulled the trigger after all."

She jumps up in panic, "It wasn't...you know it wasn't!"

He winks, "Do I now?"

Phoenix clears his throat, "Dads are important in a kid's life."

God, not this again... "If you say so."

He stands up and starts to pace, "But some of us never appreciate what they have, they just take take take all the fucking time."

I yawn, Jesus he's well and truly on his soap box. My Dad is not someone that I have any desire to have in my life ever again...which brings me back to the immediate problem and I have a strong feeling that this house is going to be very overcrowded shortly. I can't even call the Police as Jed won't let us anywhere near the phone now. I'm left floating in mid-air just waiting for the wind to blow me headfirst into more trouble.

I'm so sorry Todd.