Chapter 12.

Chapter 12

I hesitate outside the art college, the forms have been burning a hole in my bag but I still haven't filled them in. I take them out and stand there stupidly, I've got a pen in my back pocket, I could easily just sit on the pavement and make a start...Yet as expected, the past rears its ugly head so I turn in the opposite direction dumping the forms aggressively in the nearest bin. Art will always be part of my life I reasoned and I don't need any college for that. The Bakery wasn't part of my plan but it sure beats roaming around with nothing and then there's Benita, we need each other.

I decide to head back to Soho to see if B needs a break, on the way I stop off at the little church park by Rupert Street. Sitting on a grave stone I take out my sketch pad which has been invaluable as far as therapy goes. I begin to sketch, my mind racing in all directions while my pen darts across the page. Art is a great stress reliever and I was amazed to find that it was something that I actually had a flair for.

The pencil flies across the page with a mind of its own as I close my eyes. When I open them I see that I've drawn 3 characters. My heart sinks it's me, Gayle, and Lulu. Scrunching it into a ball, I shove it in my bag and get up.

On the way to the bakery I see Phoenix walking towards me, there's no alley to dive down, anyway too late, I've been seen.

"Kizzy!" he held his arms out and I step back.

"What do you want?" I said rudely.

He shrugs, "Just being friendly...after all, we'll be family sooner or later."

"Yeah right."

"So we all have to make an effort to get along," he said a tad more forcefully.

"I'm late for work," I say attempting to walk past him.

"Did you sign up for college finally?"

"No, and it's none of your business, bye."

'What's Benita doing telling him all about my shit!'

He watches me go and smirks, 'Stuck up bitch.'

I enter the shop to find Benita overrun with customers. I drop my bag and jacket into the corner and hurry to help.

"Thank God," said Benita smiling.

"Never fear, Kizzy's here."

Star.

The photoshoot was tedious. Star didn't think that anyone but a gynecologist would be interested. He barely had her face in any of the shots. Feeling bored out of her brain she pulled herself into all the requested positions, stifling back a yawn only startling out of her haze when Tam reached over and grabbed her vagina. She shot up as if she had been stung and he laughed. The doorbell rang and he left the room tittering.

"That will be Dean, you get it together ok."

She grabbed her pants and robe knotting it tightly around her waist, 'Help me,' she thought.

Dean was a right cocky bastard, he looked Star up and down giving what I am sure he imagined was an appealing smile. His teeth were all capped and dazzling white and she could smell the fake tan on him from a mile off. He looked like a wolf and a sudden surge of panic began to bubble at the bottom of her stomach, but she'd go through with it, she knew she would.

Tam directed them both onto the set. Star dropped her robe and sat primly on the end of the bed. Dean strolled in naked apart from an odd-looking leather g-string. She looked at his erection which was pointing to the ceiling and felt terrified.

'Time to take my mind away,' she thought, wondering what Kizzy was doing.

Kizzy

I sit nursing my espresso I'd added three spoons of sugar imagining Todd's disapproving looks, "You don't want to lose those teeth," he'd say while coughing on his tenth cigarette for the day. I'm thinking about Star all tucked up at Tam's flat, ha that won't last, she'd be out on her ear as soon as a fresh piece of meat is found...and then what...back to the street? I take out the latest letter from my Dad and open it slowly. His usual immaculate handwriting smiles boldly.

Dear Melissa,

And how is my clever beautiful daughter today? I am still waiting for a reply to my previous letters. I really thought I'd brought you up better than that. However you know Daddy, never one to hold a grudge, so I will forgive as I always do, but remember, darling I am your father and I'm not getting any younger. I hate to think of all those lost years, it brings tears to my eyes...at least tell me you think of me, anyway I know you do as like I always said we're peas in a pod. I'll always be part of you my Princess, after all, I made you didn't I?"

Until next time, much love

Daddy. xxx