Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Benita and Phoenix ate dinner in frosty silence. His mind was racing with jumbled thoughts, at the end of it all he wanted Kizzy gone. Obviously, Benita was not as pliable as he'd thought but he'd fix that, somehow.

"More wine?" said Benita pouring it anyway.

"Thanks."

He put down the glass, "Look B, all I'm saying is you and I need to be thinking about ourselves. You've got to set Kizzy free...you've done right by her now you've got to let her go."

Benita put down her glass and looked at him pointedly, "Kizzy is my sister I thought you understood our closeness especially with you being an only child growing up lonely..."

"Well I think it's a little weird," he said sulkily draining his glass.

He stomped up to the bathroom and locked the door. He sat down on the toilet seat and pulled out the tattered newspaper cutting from his jeans scanning the headline yet again. He never got tired of reading it.

Later that night as he fucked the living daylights out of Benita, he held her throat and imagined it was Kizzy. Benita watched his eyes and saw the Devil for a fleeting moment then it vanished. She pushed him off and turned away listening to him pant like an animal. She could see Todd in her mind, hear him loud and clear shouting, "Get rid of him!" She got up and went down to the kitchen for a drink of water. Kizzy was sat there staring into space.

"Hey, you ok?" asked Benita.

There was no answer, she waved her hand in front of her eyes which were blank then suddenly she was back.

Kizzy

"B...is lover-man around? What are you doing up so late?"

I watch carefully, something's troubling her. I can tell, she's crap at hiding anything from me. Her nose always twitches and her lips fold into her face like a squishy rag doll.

"He's asleep," she says sulkily opening her mouth then closing it again as if holding in a secret.

"Are you happy with him?" I hesitate, "What I mean is you know I'm always here for you."

Benita wipes away a tear and I hold her hand and pat it. For some reason, I feel embarrassed. I've only ever known her to be strong. This is uncomfortable.

"Kizzy...I'm pregnant."

Oh my fucking God! No! This is a fucking nightmare. My knuckles whiten and I start to sweat. The past is back and I want to kill him. I stand up abruptly and she pulls me back.

"No Kizzy, please don't say anything I'll deal with this ok."

I hold onto her shoulders, "No B, WE will deal with this."

A soft tapping at the door causes us both to jump.

"Who the fuck can that be?" I say grabbing a rolling pin.

Benita walks slowly towards the door and peers into the spy hole. Then she opens the door quietly and a battered and bruised Star falls inside.