Chapter 6

Chapter 6

London.

Benita glanced at her watch. Kizzy would have landed over two hours ago and no call to say she was safe, typical. She stomped over to the shower to join Phoneix and dropped her robe. The noise from the water temporarily washed away her anxiety. Kizzy would be okay, she was sure of it.

The Shoot Day 1 : Switzerland

The lights are up and the cameras are poised and ready. Both of us stand around watching as Tam fusses around adjusting lights and plumping cushions. We are inside a huge office space which is extremely sterile apart from the set and kitchen, which has a variety of strange-looking snacks waiting with tea and coffee cups. It's all very new worldly.

Both of us had eaten a light breakfast at the cottage then trundled out to the car zoning out as Tam talked excitedly about the day ahead. I sensed that Sue's enthusiasm had waned a little, it was as if reality had dawned, this was it no escape. Things were expected.

Me? I'm chilled after all I'm just a spare part with nothing expected. (and that's just how I like it.)

Sue sits in front of the mirror applying red lipstick and gloss. Fluffing up her hair she wills her fame-hungry ego to appear while I stare out of the window awed by the scenic beauty. The snow-capped trees are just wow! It doesn't seem right that we're here for such a tacky reason. I wonder if there really are other girls turning up or if is it just a ploy to exploit Sue as much as possible.

I watch Tam totter around cheerfully switching on lights and swear I can see the sleaze leaking from his smile. I shudder.

Sue squeezes herself into a pink latex rubber dress and rolls on some long black rubber boots. In a macabre way, I think she looks quite beautiful. Tam claps his hands and we both jump.

"Ready for you Babe."

"Just coming," she squeaks holding her hand out to me so I can pull her to her feet. Wobbling she makes her way to the set. Tam directs her to the center by a picture of a blazing fire. She hobbles over and sits down. He begins to shoot quickly barking orders that she does her best to comply with. The dress is rolled down then it's off, legs splayed as she slides around the floor egged on by his creepy enthusiasm. He places his camera down and faces her with a fiery determination to get his pound of flesh.

"Now for some video work, we'll start with the toys."

I cringe, 'And tomorrow the world.'

I gloomily watch as Tam sweats profusely, taking intense pleasure in selecting the various oddly shaped toys and then handing them to her. She seems to have become robotic, it's depressing. We are pretty broadminded and not easily shocked but his selection is truly mind-blowing. Lights are dimmed and spotlights brightened, followed by close-ups and cheesy dialogue, which Sue handles like a pro.

Tam turns towards me, "You want to join her for two hundred?"

I shake my head quickly imagining Todd's face, "Think I'll pass thanks."

He shrugs, "Suit yourself."

The next day sees the arrival of Jane and Petal, two hardened glamour models who have obviously done the rounds. I notice the caked-on slap with fake orange body tan, the obligatory false smiles are a thousand miles away from their eyes.

Sue and I suss them out instantly, mouthing 'bitches from Hell.'

We all eye each other warily until the new girls approach with arms' outstretched. I tense as their squeeze tightens and the fake tan overpowers my senses. Cheap perfume, ugh never a good sign.

Tam wanders from the kitchen with a tray of wine in the hope of loosening up the atmosphere. The elephant in the room giggles, it loves a drama. The new girls eye us suspiciously trying to work out if we're any competition. I glare at them, I'm not here to be friendly, I wonder if they're hookers on the side...