Part 12.

Chapter 12

Kizzy

I frown. I've been sitting on a gravestone in the little park off Rupert Street waiting for Gale, who is busy behind some bushes with a sleazeball. How he can cheerfully blow all these men sickens me, it's not something I make a habit of unless of course, the price is right. My thoughts turn to Lulu. I wonder where on earth she is and if she's ok. A heavy feeling of uneasiness has lodged in the pit of my stomach and refuses to budge. Gale is certain that her punter is the same guy who had beaten him up. We should have tried harder to find her.

The park is empty apart from a few drunks asleep on benches. It's peaceful and doesn't feel like London at all. The marble from the gravestone chills my bones so I move to sit on the grass near the offending bush which is swaying from side to side.

"Hey Gale, hurry up will you, for God's sake."

Gale pops his head out from behind the hedge beaming, "Be right out."

I pull out a small compact from my pocket and check my face.

'Ugh.' that Bastard has really lost me money!

There is a rustling noise followed by a few snapping branches, Gale crawls out grinning wiping his mouth with a tissue. I observe the man who follows and the lingering look that he gives before hurrying away. The word 'Married' seems to be illuminated on his forehead.

"How much did he give you then?"

Gale smirks. "Enough."

"Well, I reckon you should give me half...I mean I've been sitting here like an idiot waiting for you. I must have lost at least three possible clients."

Gale laughs. "With that face, ha, I doubt it."

I hit him around the shoulder playfully.

"But I'll give you this Kiz, you sure are mercenary."

I slip my arm into his and smile. "I guess that's why you love me."

We head back to the office and I resign myself to not earning. It is almost empty so I slide comfortably into my usual seat and signal for two coffees. We sit opposite each other and I wait while he lights up a cigarette. I clear my throat dramatically.

"You do realize we've seen nothing of Lulu for hours...I mean what can she be doing with that creep? Surely it doesn't take that long and I know Lu, in and out is how she likes it."

He shrugs reluctant to give it too much thought. "Depends really, maybe he's booked her for the night."

I shake my head. "No way, you said yourself it sounded like that weirdo who beat you and..."

He blows smoke in my face. "Exactly, 'Sounds like'. For all we know he could have taken a real shine to her."

I pick up a sugar lump and start fiddling around the ridges.

"But what if she's in trouble and needs our help, what then?"

He sighs. "Well, then we're just going to have to wait it out and see."

I gulp my coffee. Obviously, he was right but that doesn't make me feel any better. Something's wrong, I can sense it. We sit in silence staring out of the window. Eventually, I get up and head towards Todd's shop. Gale watches and smiles. To him, I'm an annoying little sister, hard to live with yet impossible to live without.

12pm

The bus ride home is taking forever. I scan the streets hoping to catch a quick glimpse of Lulu, just enough to let me know that all is well. Lines of faceless people flutter past like moths and I know that sleep will be a long time coming.