Chapter 41

Chapter 41

Kizzy.

"How?" she weeps. The truth is I really have no idea. For once in my life I'm majorly stumped. The phone rings and Dad picks up. They obviously know it's him by now.

"Give myself up?" laughs Dad, "Not a chance...Have you any idea how much planning was involved to get out of that place? It was work, HARD work, something you keystone sticks have little idea about."

The Cop on the end of the phone is soothing. It's false as fuck, I'm well aware of how they operate and there's no way Dad will fall for it...he's no fool. He continues to hold the receiver while the voice drones on and on. "Look," says Dad now finding the conversation tedious, "I'll negotiate two hostages in return for a clear path for myself and my girl...take it or leave it the choice is yours."

God I'm choking on my own bloody tongue! Me and him! Like what? I see Dad focusing on Phoenix, his eyes are slanting...I know the signs. I've got no love for my so called brother but he doesn't deserve a Dad like that, neither of us do and I have an awful feeling that he could be next on the hit list.

Dad hangs up the phone and it rings back immediately. He rips it out and throws it at the wall, "Fuckers!" he shrieks before composing himself. He points to Benita, "You upstairs." She looks bewildered, Ok what's going on...

"Shall I go with her?" asks Phoenix. Dad shakes his head and me and Phoenix look at each other  shrugging nervously.

I clear my throat, "Dad the cops are going to surround us...they'll probably storm the house...why is Benita being sent upstairs?" I watch as he slaps his head in an attempt to bring some clarity to his thinking, "Just let me think, this can all work out if I just think..."

Benita flees upstairs glancing nervously at the door. Dad tells me and Phoenix to sit down in front of him. We do this quickly and watch as he glances from one of us to the other, his eyes misting over at me then hardening at Phoenix as if he's nothing but shit. "My children...my dear children."

Ok this fond father crap is too much! "We're not kids' Dad." I watch curiously as he starts to rock back and forth and I try to catch Phoenix's eye but can't, all he sees is him. I move towards Dad slowly, his eyes are closed but he could be pretending. I reach softly for the gun and he clamps his hand over mine, "No Sweetie, we're not having a replay of last time."

His fingers grab firmly around the back of my neck and I feel Kizzy finally jump in. I start to fight and lash out, my life depends on it. Phoenix is yelling but I've no idea what side he's on. We all scramble on the floor, biting, screaming and kicking until we hear Benita rush downstairs and pull open the front door.

The Police storm inside in full riot gear, batons and guns at the ready. Someone dashes to Star and screams, "She still has a pulse!" I must admit I'm shocked to hear that, not that I wish her dead or anything.

The others trundle towards us as Dad looks on, a hunted animal. One of them approaches like a Panther getting ready to pounce. "Put down your weapon Matthew, it's over."

Dad laughs and I look at Phoenix at a loss. I walk forward and Dad yanks me back pressing the gun to my head. The Cop is calm, "Come on now, this isn't going to solve anything. We can help you. Let us help you."

Funny as I'm staring death in the face I'm not actually scared, it all seems inevitable. I should never have left my box.