Chapter 72

Chapter 72

Kizzy

One thing I've learned though is as long as you stick to your story then sooner or later it becomes the truth. Hey, I think I'm even starting to believe it! My name is Kizzy fly by night catch me if you can ha ha.

Matthew.

He read the newspaper with interest this murder had his daughter stamped all over it. So the sewer Rat was no more...just as well, filthy lying slut.

What a shame he was banged up, nowhere to go, no business to attend to...life was dull. He wished he had witnessed the dispatch and maybe given her a few tips. But for the moment he had a more pressing thing to concern himself with. He had heard through the grapevine that Dante Feat was being held in the remand wing. This would work to his advantage, whatever statement that shit had given to the Police about his darling daughter would be retracted if he knew what was good for him.

Matthew had a lot of connections now, guards included, so getting his message delivered wouldn't be that difficult. He smiled wishing that he could deliver the message in person...but there was no chance of that as they barely let him out to exercise. It was inhumane as far as he was concerned but he had his soldiers and like it or not they were going to fight his corner, nothing but a complete retraction would do with a change of the girl's description of course, anything to get her off the hook.

He sighed dramatically thinking 'No worries, Daddy will save you...yet again!' And for that, she would be grateful, very grateful.

Kizzy. One week later.

There's something in the air. It's like a shift in the atmosphere I'm dead sensitive to that shit.

I look at the pen and paper I was going to write to Dad on, somehow the desire has gone words avoid me so I do what I always do and let it be. I go to work as normal and find myself constantly looking over my shoulder. Having lived on the streets I'm more than aware of when I'm being watched. Yet, when I look no one's there I get to work and try not to dwell.

I remember Dad telling me that he had this magic power and could always tell when something was going to happen. I like to think that I'm the same.

Benita arrives and we chat happily about baby stuff in-between customers. If I didn't know any better I'd swear that Todd was standing beside us puffing away, still not learning his lesson about smoking even in the afterlife.

"Kizzy, just going to have this coffee, can you..."

She stops in mid-flow and I look up. Detective Grateson enters the shop with a female officer. My heart is pounding... I know what's coming...how can this be? I was so fucking careful.

"Hi," I say cautiously crossing my fingers behind my back. I don't hear all the replies, my ears are buzzing then I'm sinking underwater.

"Melissa Rhodes I am arresting you on suspicion of the murder of Sue Smith. You do not have to say anything but anything you do say..."

I zone out, this is wrong. What the fuck have I done that's so bad? I'm going to be an aunty for Christ's sake!

Benita rushes towards them, "No! I told you she was with me all night. You can't do this, she has an alibi."

The lady cop looks at her kindly while handcuffing me "Don't upset yourself, ok, we need a further talk with your sister. Sit down and keep calm."

I look at Benita wildly, a trapped animal, with nowhere to run, no box to hide in, what am I going to do?

They frog march me out of the shop past loads of onlookers, the shame is deep. I know you'd imagine that I don't feel stuff like that but I do. Todd brought me into his family in good faith and I've just thrown it back in his face. I'm fighting back tears as the car door slams. What now?