Chapter 55

Chapter 55

Kizzy.

I scan the rest of the bar, same numbskulls, nothing ever changes, same stories, different characters. I check out the reporter with his hand outstretched staring at it like it's an Alien. "I don't do handshakes," I tell him, may as well start the way I mean to go on. He shrugs giving me a lopsided grin.

"Would you like some croissants? "

I shake my head and I can see that he thinks I'm going to be a pain in the arse. "I work in a bakery," I say in a bid to explain. May as well try to be nice I guess.

"Sorry," he says, "I should have realized... coffee then?"

"That will be good." I watch him as he makes a big show out of pretending to be mother, God no, don't say it...

"Let me be mother then."

I wince the saying annoys the fuck out of me, don't know why.

"Ok then Kizzy or do you prefer Melissa?"

"Kizzy will be fine," I snap, although I hadn't meant to sound so harsh.

He clears his throat which reminds me of a gun cocking.

"First of all how are you feeling after your terrible ordeal?"

Jesus, how the fuck do you think?

I shrug, "I'm fine...what part are you referring to exactly?"

He jumps straight in, "Well I would imagine that seeing the person that you love being raped by your father must have been horrific..."

I inhale, he's done it he's activated my button. I lean forward placing both hands on the table, "Right, first thing first, Star isn't and never has been a lover ok...you got that?"

His face falls, "But she said..."

"I don't care shit what she says, she's a fucking liar, and all this Star shit? Her name is Sue! Plain old Sue. You see where I'm going with this?"

"Umm I think so."

"Well in case you're in any doubt let me put the record straight...."

"OK so you're saying there was no rape then?"

I bellow causing a few other guests to look over, "Rape? Do me a fucking favor, she's not his type. He detests street girls...she should count herself lucky she's still walking about."

"And how do you feel about your dad after so much killing, so much destruction?"

He watches me like a cat but I'm better at this game than him. "He's my Dad, he's just a man...what do you expect me to say?"

Bill sips his coffee trying to appear nonchalant, "Do you still love him?"

I stare ahead, his question has thrown me, for some reason i wasn't expecting that. "I thought we were here to talk about Star?"

He smiles, "We are but I also want to know about you."

God, I hate this little creep!

"Look Star's a bitch to who I offered a genuine friendship," I say trying to divert him back on my path.

"Was she in love with you?"

I shake my head, "The only person that she's in love with is Star, believe me on that."

I pick up my coffee and smile standing tall on the battle line. I think back to our first meeting and how I'd reached out to her, how she'd grasped on and needed me...where did I go wrong?