Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Benita.

Since meeting Phoenix I'm not the same. I've been well and truly jabbed with that sickly word 'love'. Every time I see him, I just can't stop smiling. It's like he's brought a ton of Rainbows into my life. The sky is Bluer, God my life feels like one big squishy present. I did think Melissa...oh okay Kizzy (still can't get used to her real name.) would be happy for me. She says she is but I know her, all those sly dirty looks searching for holes...but whatever, that's her stuff, and as far as I'm concerned nothing is going to spoil my happiness. He's perfect and I firmly believe that even my Dad would have had a problem finding fault. When Phoenix looks at me, all he wants is for me to be happy, what more can I ask for?

Kizzy

Ok, I'm Melissa now, must keep drumming that in. But since Todd's gone it's like I can feel myself slipping. I can feel the invisible hands pulling me back to what I know, taunting me as if to say, 'You can't let go of us, we know who you are!' It won't happen though, I'm older, wiser and I have my self-respect...don't I? Bs new man has triggered me, that's for sure. Now what to do... accept? or kick-off? Both will take a vast amount of energy that I'm not sure I have, I mean when Todd passed Benita was like a mum to me. We got through it together, but now her head's locked in the clouds and I'm not sure it's ever coming back.

Benita smiles broadly entering the shop, "Not late am I?"

"Just a touch," I grumble, already reaching for my jacket.

"You want to have lunch or something?" she asks coyly twirling a curl.

I hesitate, my anger deflating slightly, "Well, ok. Yeah, that would be great."

"Kettners 2 pm?"

I grin, 'That's more like it!'

"Great, shall I meet you outside?"

"No way... I'll book us a table...by the window." She says smiling.

"What name?"

Benita shrugs, "What else but Kizzy fly by Night."

I give her a Hi 5, "It's a date."

I leave the shop and check my watch, two hours to kill. I could get into a lot of trouble in two hours.

I pound the streets happy with the familiar. I may have changed, grown up even but deep down I still feel the same. Soho is the core of my soul, embedded in my heart and I doubt very much whether that will ever change.

I head towards Leicester Square. Lulu's bench isn't empty. A group of French students cluster around it, loud, carefree drinking in all that London has to offer. I sit on the grass trying to squash my annoyance, I imagine Lulu telling me to let it go so I do. Today is a good day.

Benita locks up and makes her way to Kettners. It is a breezy afternoon but Kettners always has an extra special welcome about it, homely, with a unique touch of elegance from decades gone by. Everything about it is beautiful from the Champagne bar to the open-plan restaurant and the elaborately decorated toilets. She always half expected Oscar Wilde to jump out from a corner saying "Do have a drink with me, darling."

She walks inside and is shown to her table. She chuckles thinking how Kizzy has well and truly rubbed off on her, people watching has become a new obsession.

"May I get you a drink while you are waiting?" asks the waiter.

"Just an orange juice please."

"Very good Miss."