Chapter 30.

Chapter 30.

"I told you my Dad was Todd," I say stubbornly not liking where this is going.

"Todd fostered you!" he snapped.

I slam the spoon down, "Look I've no idea what you're getting at or where this is going but I don't have to answer shit."

His face clouds over and I wonder why I've never noticed how sinister he looks before. There is obviously a lot more to this...much more.

We square up to each other and then stop as we hear a whoop from the front room. I rush through to find Star pointing excitedly at the TV. I follow her gaze, there is breaking news. Three people have been found dead at a top security prison. My brain skims over this as I listen to the next part:

'Escaped prisoner Matthew Rhodes is considered armed and dangerous. The public is advised not to approach him but to call 999.'

My jaw hits the floor, Matthew...what? No...How? I listen on hoping that I may just have cloth ears but it's true, my Dad has done a bunk. I sit down to steady myself, and that means only one thing...he's coming for me. I suddenly feel very sick. I look over at Phoenix who has turned a strange shade of yellow.

All of a sudden Jed doesn't seem so bad wow...what the fuck am I going to do?

Jed laughs, relief flooding his face, "Oh well I guess it takes the heat off the Woodlouse murder for the moment."

He looks around at us beaming, "Chill everyone, it's all good."

Like when did this become our problem? Maybe I should grab B and leave...yet why the fuck should I this is our home. God why does my life have to be so fucking complicated! Fast forward to my Dad, now that's a real problem. As much as I have a sneaking admiration for his breakout I can feel his hidden rage...He's going to make me pay, I just know it, all these letters proclaiming his love are empty words...just a lure to get me to trust and that's one thing I never do.

I look back at Phoenix who is pacing about like a caged animal...shouldn't he supporting B?

He seems very affected by all this and I want to know why. I scan the room warily, Star now looks happy and content, all is suddenly well in her world. What an idiot, wish I hadn't given her the time of day. Todd would have been mad as hell with me.

B is on the sofa glaring at Phoenix, with any luck their relationship is on the way out after all this. She's looking a bit like the old B, Thank fuck.

One thing I do know for sure is that the Police will be coming it's just a matter of time. For now, all I can do is sit tight.

Matthew.

Freedom was delicious and he wondered why he hadn't appreciated it before. The color of the sky blinded him with its marine beauty but for now, he had one mission. All that was good in the world would have to wait.

Staying under the radar was easy as he was a regular Joe Blogs, the kind of face that you'd pass in the street and never notice.

No one gave him a second glance when he bought a sandwich at Tesco marveling at how much the shops had changed since he had been incarcerated. It was like stepping into a brand new world, he shivered thinking of all the sparkly new victims, but that would be for later. He walked in front of the flower section stopping in front of the Roses. His heartbeat quickened and he wondered if he should buy a bunch for his baby girl. Deciding against it he left the shop feeling that they were not up to his standard.

The scarlet color gave him a surge of energy as he headed for the tube, her address etched firmly in his brain.