Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Kizzy: Early evening.

I enter the house cautiously, not easy when you're pushing a bloody buggy! Lucky is asleep, the poor thing's been bored shitless...hope B's not going to make a habit of this.

"We're home!" I pop my head into the front room and there she is pen and paper in her hands as if she has the weight of the world on her shoulders.

"You ok B?"

She turns around frowning, "Have been trying to do a guest list for the wedding...so far I've got one person and that's you!"

I laugh at this...Jeez, I thought I was family. "Well, how about little Lucky Locket?"

Benita frowns, "That goes without saying, talking of which where is she...?"

I point to the hall, "Still in her buggy fast asleep."

She tuts as if I've done the wrong thing and gets up. I give her the finger behind her back. She's got some fucking nerve! I mean it's not my bloody kid. I'm sure 'Auntie' means you get time off.

"Hey!" I shout after her, "How about you get her down and I'll help you think up some guests?"

She shakes her head, "Maybe...only being realistic we don't really know anyone, since Todd's gone it's like we're on our own."

The tears start flowing then I remind her, "You've got Phoenix, your husband-to-be."

She laughs, "Oh that reminds me, I haven't told him yet."

I hear her stomp upstairs with Lucky. "Do you want me to get anything for her?"

"Na you're good."

The phone rings, I know who it is. "Hello, Dad."

"Melissa."

He sighs heavily, a sure sign that he's very pissed off.

"What's happened?" I ask not wanting to know.

"Nothing!" he shouts, "Exactly nothing. You haven't written in 30 days now and not even ONE visit! It's a poor show, Melissa."

God, I knew this was coming. I can feel the heat of his anger.

"Look I'm a little behind with the letter, I promise I'll do it tonight ok, and as for a visit...don't think I'm ready for that."

I know if he had been in the room he would have raised his voice but for now, he lowers it into a menacing snarl.

"I suggest that you ready yourself ASAP and remember all that I've done for you."

How could I fucking forget considering that he reminds me at every opportunity...the phone's going to slam...wait for it, 5,4,3,2,1 

The line goes dead, tittering I go up to my room. I can hear Lucky laughing in the bath, she's sweet you know. I can't think why B's making such a fuss...Oh well, she and Phoenix will have to sort it out together. Isn't that what couples do?

I take my t-shirt off and peer out of the window I have an uneasy feeling that I'm being watched. Staring into the darkness I scan the streets for anything out of the ordinary. Hammersmith is still, there are people around, and lots of traffic but nothing overly dodgy.

I peel the curtain right back to get a closer look... then I see him. The Fucking Fucker Dante! He steps confidently from behind a tree and waves as if we're long-lost friends. My heart is thudding as I close the curtain...what's his fucking game? I pull my top back on and rush downstairs to grab my trainers.

"Kiz make us a tea will you," calls Benita.

"Yeah in a sec."

I open the front door and run out into the dark.