Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Benita pulls me into her bedroom and closes the door. 'Not good.'

"What the Hell's going on? Where did you pick her up from?" She swallows heavily, "I can't have waifs and strays dossing here, you'll have to get rid of her."

I fold my arms huffily, "But B..."

Benita holds up her hand, "No buts, I want her gone by the time I get home OK."

I slam out of the room, 'Bloody Phoenix!'

She'd never have behaved like that before he arrived! My hatred goes up at least 10 inches.

Star is surprisingly cool about it all, calmly picking up her things and heading back to Soho. I feel bad but promise to catch up with her later.

It's well and truly pissing me off the way Phoenix is getting his feet under the table. It almost feels like I'm being pushed out. If only there was a button to make him vanish if only I could light the hate button...

Phoenix walks Benita to the Bakery and kisses her on the forehead, "Got to run babe, catch up later."

She touches his face thoughtfully, "Where are you off to then?"

He bobs her nose playfully, "Nosey Madam."

He reminds her of her father, "Not nosey, just curious."

She turns on her heels and leaves him standing there. He laughs and walks away.

Kizzy

I look up as Benita enters the shop, "You ok?"

"Of course!"

Oops, trouble in paradise...

I carry on wrapping sandwiches I know when to stay quiet. I feel a surge of hope and smile quietly.

Star sits in Tam Woodlouses's office beaming as pound signs float in front of her with magazine covers, fame, and all the love and adoration she's ever dreamt about. Her eyes travel to the framed pictures on the walls, stunning porn stars shining like precious jewels. She wants it all. Anything had to be better than pounding the streets day after day earning a pittance. She thinks briefly of her parents and her grandmother, what would they think? But at the end of the day did it really matter? it's my life she reasons and now I have a friend so things will get better.

Tam smiles encouragingly and points to the model release forms, she picks up the pen and signs with a flourish.

Kizzy

Benita and I sit at home drinking red wine. It's nice, just the two of us, no creepy Phoenix circling as if he's about to pounce and kill.

"So what happened between you guys earlier..." I ask warily, my heart quickening in anticipation.

Benita sighs, "Dunno, it's like I feel he's hiding something."

I laugh, "You and your feelings."

Benita puts down her glass, "Never dismiss them...remember Dad always told us that?"

I nod, "Sure do and it was down to his feelings that saved my life."

Memories of Todd tracking down my Dad and rescuing me run past poking out a tongue. I close the shutter, I can't think about that anymore. I am not a product of my past.

We both look around the room vacantly as an awkward silence settles in.

"It's just in some ways he's so perfect, but there's something about him...like he talks at me, says all the right things but anything I say back seems to go right over his head like he's not hearing me."