Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Kizzy.

I peer out of the kitchen after putting the kettle on AGAIN. Don't know why but I'm suddenly on edge. All seems normal in the garden, tables and chairs are in the same place and the neighbour's ginger cat is staring insolently from the garden fence...Hmm, I'm jumpy, my heckles are 100% up.

My mind zips back to Jed, I can sense him weakening, he wants to run I'm sure of it. Fuck knows what's stopping him. Thinking back to my one and only trip abroad with Star, I'd had such high hopes for her...just shows you how wrong you can be.

Cheto pushes her way in and runs to the back door sniffing wildly as if the garden is holding a big surprise. I go to unlock the door then change my mind after an inner voice reminds me that it's too dangerous and by the sounds of things Dad still hasn't been caught. The Police are a fucking joke I mean I thought all the big cases were handed over to CID of FBI or something like that...

I feel bad as both dogs are bound to need the loo and the small litter tray in the corner is starting to stink. "Hey Jed, can I let the dogs out for a bit?"

He ambles into the kitchen, "Not planning on doing a runner are you?"

Ha, chance would be a fine thing and anyway, this is my home, not his. My days of running have long gone.

"Look wait up," he says, "And we'll go out together."

"I'll stay in."

He laughs, "You don't have no choice around here, thought you would have realized that by now."

I frown and cross my arms while he quickly uses the toilet. He comes back and unlocks the door. It clicks loudly and echoes around my ears.

Before he steps out he shouts into the front room, "Don't anyone be getting any mad ideas now!"

My heart is banging and I wonder if I should scream my head off as soon as I get outside...He winks at me in an infuriating way. I walk behind him as the dogs dash out. Jed stands cautiously, alert like he's being hunted. I want to say some smart arse comment but don't bother.

The dogs dash off to a large bush and begin digging for treasure, no doubt old bones from God knows when. They dig away happy as Larry as if their lives depend on it. I walk over clapping my hands, "What the Hell are you guys up to?"

I have the strongest feeling that I'm being watched, looking over to Jed I call him over. He stumps his cigarette out moodily.

"Bloody dogs are a pain," he moans, "Leave them out here."

He gestures me back inside and locks the door.

I push the front room open and gasp, there he is. My Dad is sitting on the sofa with his arm firmly around Star who looks absolutely terrified. Benita is crying silent tears and Phoenix? Well, I don't know what to make of him! He's looking oddly comfortable, familiar...almost pleased. I must be reading him wrong.

"Sweetpea, come and give your father a kiss. You've no idea how much I've missed you."

I'm rigid, a cold rush floods my body and I scratch my arms as goosebumps erupt. I try to focus watching as he frowns when Jed walks in.

"Well well, who's this then?"

He motions for Jed to sit in the corner. Jed being Jed stays standing. What a bloody idiot, I bet he thinks Dad's some kind of plain clothes cop...time to enlighten him, "Newsflash."

I point to the TV and he takes a moment to click, "What the fuck!" he splutters just before Dad leaps forward and slaps him to the floor.

"Didn't my daughter tell you I can't abide profanities?"

Dazed Jed looks from me to Dad. I can tell he's hoping that he's misheard. No Jed sadly not. He sits up and rubs the back of his head, "Well what are you doing here...what do you want?"

Star walks towards Dad with a sudden surge of bravery, "You do know the Police are on the way..."

He laughs.., he's never been one to sweat the small stuff. He turns to stare at Benita who looks as if she just wants to melt into the sofa.

"Oh you're a pretty little thing, aren't you? I can see Phoenix chose well there."

Wait a minute...Phoenix? What the fuck is going on? I look at Phoenix and he holds my gaze then back at my Dad and I see it...OMG, I have a brother!