Chapter 70

Chapter 70.

Benita: The Scan

They all watched transfixed as the nurse added gel to Benita's stomach, Kizzy held one hand and Phoenix the other. They waited with baited breath then very slowly a grainy image of a tiny baby appeared. Benita cried and Kizzy and Phoenix high-fived each other.

"Is it a boy or a girl?" They all asked at once.

The nurse smiled, "Could be either."

They groaned good-naturedly and were told that everything good comes to those who wait.

On reaching home they were very surprised to see a Police car parked outside. The officers' faces were grim.

"Maybe Dad's dead." Said Kizzy chewing her lip, "Stabbed or something."

"Sure hope so," said Phoenix.

They walked towards them cautiously, "Can I help you?" said Benita, "I thought all this was over and done with for the time being..."

"Are you aware that Starlight Velvet has been murdered?"

"Omg!" they all gasp uneasily. Benita opens the door, "You'd better come in."

"How? When?" asks Phoenix while the other cop looks directly at Kizzy.

"That's what we're hoping to find out..."

"Do you have any suspects...any idea who could have done such a thing?" said Benita feeling the onset of a migraine.

The fatter cop sat himself down making himself at home. "We have arrested a known pimp, goes by the name of Dante Feat..."

They all shrug, "Never heard of him."

The other cop looks into Kizzy's eyes, "He was Jed's brother."

She gave a sharp intake of breath, "No fucking way!"

"This will be an ongoing investigation as we believe he may have had help. "

Everyone looked at each other waiting uneasily, "Where were you all on the night in question?"

Benita laughs, "That's easy enough, TV and bed...I'm expecting you know."

The other cop turned to Phoenix, "And you Sir?"

"In bed with my soon-to-be wife!" he snapped.

Lastly, he turned to Kizzy, a knowing glint in his eyes, "And you...what were you doing on that night?"

Before she could answer Benita took control, "She was home with us all night! All we're thinking about is the baby."

She points to her stomach and the fat officer smiles. Phoenix brings in some tea and they look around the room while sipping noisily, their eyes missing nothing.

After a while they get up, "Thank you for the tea, we will leave you to it for the time being."

One of them turns to Kizzy, "Must feel good knowing she's gone, especially after all those interviews."

She stares back bewildered, the picture of innocence.

"Do you know Dante insists another girl was there...denying everything." He said blowing his nose.

Kizzy shrugs, "Well what do you know huh?"

Benita smiles, "Kind of Karma if you ask me."