Untitled Part 5

Chapter 5.

My eyes fly open then close again. It feels like it's going to be one of those days. Podge nestles closer and I relax. Arguments ring out along the bridge, which is nothing new but enough to make me vigilant, I open my eyes again and sit up.

I peel back my curtain slowly observing the grey gloomy London sky. Sighing loudly, I flop back onto the sleeping bag. My arms are itching from last night's cutting. Resisting the urge to scratch is always hard, but somehow I manage, I always do. My mind drifts to Lulu, and I wonder if she got home ok and if Gale is safe...

Gale walks under Waterloo Bridge feeling as if he has just entered no man's land he staggers slightly, trying to get his bearings. He's certain that Kizzy mentioned something about a bridge. He adjusts his glasses and looks around, dismayed to find that it's a worse dump than he'd imagined. Why Kizzy would choose to live here, he just couldn't fathom. He has a thumping hangover and had been hoping to crash at her place just for an hour or so, also the company wouldn't go amiss but from what he could see, that didn't look like it was going to be an option. He walked forward with his head down.

Kizzy

I amble under the bridge with Podge tugging as if his life depends on it. I feel like a dirty mess, but kind of happy at the same time when I think of the previous night's earnings. Strangely the happiness is always fleeting almost as if it doesn't really belong to me it's like dancing inside a dream then being tossed out at the last minute. However, the money is a huge security blanket, with the added joy of living a life on my own terms, no one to answer to, only myself and Podge and that's just the way I like it.

I walk towards the stumbling figure and blink, 'God, it can't be...'

Gale waves bashfully. "Hey."

"Gale...What are you doing here?"

"I had a bad night Kiz, not been home, was kind of hoping that I could crash by you for a few hours...I'll be good I promise" He gives what he hopes is an endearing smile.

My eyes cloud over as my mind races for a feasible excuse. I shake my head firmly.

"You can't, anyway I thought you had your own place?"

His face hits the floor and I brace myself for the oncoming guilt trip.

"Look my place is way too small ok, and anyway I have visitors," I say a tad unconvincingly. My face flushes and I hope he doesn't notice.

"Cool." He sulks, scuffing his trainers like a huffy child.

We walk along in silence and I watch him curiously. "Why are you walking funny?"

He stops and removes his glasses. Both eyes are swollen with a mass of black, purple, and green bruising.

"Jeez what the Hell happened to you?"

He pulls me towards a wall while Podge watches suspiciously, ready to take a chunk out of him if need be.

"Look there's a psycho out there, telling you that for a fact! Got picked up and taken to a flat in South London. Guy seemed cool, once he got me inside boom! major personality change. Called me all the names under the sun beat the shit out of me and to top it all wouldn't pay. Said if I tell anyone he's going to kill me."

I listen intently while biting my nails... this isn't what I need to hear today. I feel very weary, tired of constantly looking over my shoulder. Tomorrow is never promised, but when it arrives it is always another chance.

We sit on a wall and talk for a bit before deciding to head to the YMCA for a shower, after banking my money. Gale has a pass for the place, a gift from a client instead of payment. He's able to bring one guest, which is nearly always me. I'm the nearest thing to family that he's got these days.