Chapter 23.

Chapter 23.

Star.

Jed had packed up quickly, he was very precise about what to take and leave almost as if he had been preparing for this day. Star as usual just went along with it as there was nothing else she could do. He didn't want to attract any obvious attention as Soho was a hotbed of gossip so silent as a prowling cat was required.

Sitting in the car Star wondered if the bakery was open yet and if there was any way of warning Kizzy.

Jed clamped his hand tightly around her thigh, "We'll be ok babe you'll see this is a good move."

She smiled weakly somehow she doubted it as she stared out of the window miserably as they drove past her life. It all carried on as normal. She marveled that all that had once seemed so depressing was suddenly warm and comforting. It was her familiar and she didn't want to leave. Soho was her home, she'd thought and hoped that she and Jed could make things work...what a fool she'd been. She swallowed back a huge lump and tried to smile, at least he'd dumped the other girls he made money from without a backward glance. Surely that meant something.

"Why don't we stop off at that bakery and grab some snacks before we go...I'm starving."

He looked at her like she was crazy and shook his head, "You think we've got time for any of that shit?"

He scoffed and drove on while she stared out at the tourists ambling along Piccadilly, all oblivious to her suffering. She wondered what Kizzy would say when she turned up at the door with Jed in tow...and that stuck-up sister...would he hurt them? Jesus life sure wasn't easy.

Kizzy.

I'm stuffing toast into my mouth as if it's my last meal. For some reason, I feel anxious, don't know why, it's like standing on top of a house of cards and waiting for it to tumble down. B hasn't been doing any shifts, apparently, Phoenix is willing to cover a few, ha I'd like to see that lazy shithead! I heard them rowing last night and wonder if she's told him about the baby... It would be just like him to walk away and leave us in the lurch, what I mean is leave her but hell she's my sister so she is me.

"Morning Sis."

I look up and frown, Phoenix is grinning like a demented Cheshire cat. What's his bloody problem?

I nod and look away hoping that he'll get the message that I'm not open for chat. No such luck, he pulls up a chair and sits facing me. Ok...I'm trapped, nowhere to run, he has me and seems to relish in it.

"Look just because I'm going out with B it doesn't mean that we can't be civil...you know try to get along."

I look at him full in the face and for the first time really see him. He looks familiar, yet a stranger with a steel fence of lies protecting him. It's pretty clear now that he has an agenda and somehow I'm going to find a hole and expose him.

I decide to throw caution to the wind, "So what's the future for you and B then?"

I'm amazed at how friendly I sound, false as fuck. I watch him carefully alert for any slip-ups. The game has obviously begun.

He smiles endearingly, "Hey all I want is for B to be happy." He drops his gaze then lifts it again, "B and me and baby makes three."

I get up and slam out of the kitchen with his laughter ringing in my ears.