Untitled Part 6

Chapter 6

The room is a dump it's like one of those doss places that you rent by the hour. We spy a kitchen bin overflowing with rubbish and a single bed with surprisingly clean white cotton sheets, draped with a rose-patterned nylon quilt from the seventies. A small wooden table with an amateur-looking film camera sits alert ready for action. Our eyes travel to the dirty magnolia walls which are grimy with secrets.

The man calls himself Oscar and fiddles nervously with the lighting while we both stand to the side and wait. Gale gives me a wink.

"See what I'm after..." he says then hesitates. "First may I ask, are you brother and sister?"

"Yes." said Gale "Is it really that obvious?"

I look the other way as a gust of laughter threatens to erupt.

"Marvelous," he gushes "Even better."

He gestures for us to sit on the bed while he delivers a Spielberg speech. I listen while tickling my palm with my hair. I always do this when I'm bored and subtly scanning the joint for any fast exits. I also like to watch where the client places his wallet to see if there will be any chance for a hit-and-run.

"Oops I nearly forgot."

He takes out his wallet and slowly counts out sixty pounds.

"Thank you, I'll take charge of that," I say, adrenaline kicking in.

"Now if I could have you both on the bed, underwear first..."

I watch him take out a tissue and wipe his forehead. He scratches his stomach nervously or impatiently, I can't make my mind up which...not that it matters.

Gale nods enthusiastically as if considering the instructions. "And then?"

"And then I want you to hit her in the face and choke hard, but with finesse if you know what I mean."

He waits for a response and I swear I can hear his heart beating.

Gale laughs loudly. "Fabulous. We do love a bit of choking don't we sis?"

I don't answer as I try to fight back a wave of hate, it's like I can feel his filth pulling me down, trying to drown me.

Oscar watches me with fatherly concern placing a pudgy hand on my shoulder. It feels like a clamp.

"Are you alright my dear? You do look a little pale."

I stare at him blankly, the hissing in my ears intensifying, "I need water."

He points to the sink and I move towards it slowly. The tap coughs to life. The freezing water explodes into the glass while I watch Oscar from the corner of my eye deep in conversation with Gale who pretends to be interested.

The wallet sits near the light stand and I smile. 'When would these idiots ever learn?'

"I'd like to make a start today if possible!" shouts Oscar, all of a sudden grim-faced.

'Oh, we're ready alright, no worries on that account.' I think.

I look at Gale and his eyes deliver the signal. He leads Oscar over to the bed and begins to question him intently about camera angles.

"Well, I'm after as many close-ups as possible. I want people to feel the passion, feel like they are right there in the room with you." He says, delighted with such an attentive student.

Gale nods earnestly before the sound of breaking glass diverts Oscar's attention. He glares at me in annoyance.

"Clumsy me," I laugh while bending down to gather the pieces.