Part 18

Chapter 18

He attempts small talk but I ignore him even though I can feel him watching me in the mirror. I concentrate on London racing past in an attempt to stop my stomach churning. He drives skillfully, nipping in and out of busy traffic as if he's been doing the job for years. I lean forward and tap on the glass.

"So how long have you been driving this then?"

The speaker springs to life, "On and off really...as needs be." he chuckles.

"Needs be?"

He laughs theatrically and I glare at him.

"Oh you're still my daughter I see. Nosey little madam always full of so many questions."

I lay my head back and stare morosely out of the window. We're now in South London. The cab twists and turns down various roads, none of which I've been to before. Some are run down and sinister while others have an almost posh suburbian facade. My mind races with so many questions, but I doubt very much whether he'll answer any of them.

He pulls up outside a regular semi-detached house and opens the door. The knife jabs against my leg, a subtle reminder. Taking hold of Podge's lead he walks me firmly towards the house. My head turns towards the parking bay where I spot a blue Vauxhall sleeping soundly. Gasping I take a step back planning to grab my knife, but he's too fast and tightens his grip squeezing harder into my flesh. Angry tears run down my face as I wince. He opens the door calmly pushing me inside.

"Now darling, you try one more trick like that and I'll slash your pup's belly so wide you'll be cleaning up for a week."

He hesitates, waiting for my response. "You know how I loathe mess it really does my head in, you remember that don't you?"

A vibrant bouquet of red roses glows out of a porcelain vase. This clarifies all that I already know. My Dad is a killer. My eyes travel to a hastily made banner that hangs across the fireplace beaming 'Welcome home, Melissa.' It feels surreal, yet normal, as if I've been away at school and am returning home for the holidays.

He points to a chair, "Sit."

I sit down and scan the room. I wonder if this is where he killed Lulu, and more importantly...will I be next?

'Shit how on earth can I have been so dumb!'

He sits opposite smiling in a way that could almost be seen as genuine. "You don't know how good it is to have you back in my life Melissa. I've missed you so much."

He rubs his heart as if wishing to hammer his point across. I'm amazed to see tears forming which he wipes away haphazardly, giggling in embarrassment.

"You killed Lulu didn't you?"

"Sweetheart..."

He moves closer and puts his arms around me. "Hush darling. That dirty streetwalker was nothing to us. Not important, after all, we're a family and that's all that matters...don't you agree?"

I stiffen against his chest listening to his steady heartbeat. I can hear my life ticking away. He strokes my hair kindly as if he's soothing a naughty toddler.

"I had to help her along...she was rotting away inside. The filth was eating her soul for goodness sake. It broke my heart to do it but you know, I like to think of it as providing a service kind of thing."

He stops to kiss my head. "There really was nothing there apart from a dirty shell. People like that are just rubbish and they taint everyone that they come into contact with, spreading disease, ruining lives, need I go on?"