Chapter 24.

Chapter 24.

Star.

They drove to Hammersmith and were dismayed by how different the vibe was. The community bustle that they were so used to from Soho had dulled. Faces hurried by so miserable and angry. Star slid down in her seat and closed her eyes.

Jed chewed on his lip as his eyes scanned the roads and corners. He drove cautiously which was most unlike him. Star could tell he was worried even though he was doing his best to hide it, she cheered up slightly at the thought of seeing Kizzy again. She'd felt very guilty about the way she had run out on her.

"How much further?" said Jed poking her sharply.

"Not long now, first on the right then second on the left I think."

He glared at her, "You think? Best be you KNOW."

"I know," she muttered hiding her shaking hands and trying to ignore the trickle of sweat that had clustered above her lip.

They turned onto a leafy road which gave the appearance of suburbia. Directly opposite was a large social housing estate.

'Chalk and cheese.' thought Star. She pointed to the small semi at the end of the road. Jed drove slowly past it and parked on a corner not wanting to give any forewarnings.

They exited the car and he linked his arm into hers roughly, "Let's go home."

She dragged her heels and he yanked her along. She gulped heavily trying to calm her racing heart, all the while knowing that this wasn't going to go down well but it was too late now, far too late.

Kizzy.

I've just done the finishing touches to my make-up. I still can't believe I wear slap now! Who'd have thought it? Little Kiz from the box making up her face...Jesus, I'm a pedestrian.

The Bakery will be late opening today but I'm not going to stress, it will open when I get there and that's that. I hear the loud ding from the doorbell and stop. 'Who the fuck can that be?'

Peering out the window I can't see anyone but it rings again this time more insistent.

"B, will you get that for me!"

The dogs start barking and it rings louder, "B, the door for Christ'-sake."

I hear her shuffle downstairs as if she is carrying a sack of potatoes on her back. The front door opens then silence...hmm strange.

"B, who is it?"

I wipe some gloss over my lips and stand up. No reply but Podge is growling and Cheto's yapping. What the fuck...

Grabbing my rucksack I hurry downstairs, "B, what's going on..."

I gasp, my sister is sitting on the floor with a scary-looking skinny guy towering over her, on the other side stands Star. I swallow back my shock, "Star, what the hell is going on...what is this shit?"

Star trembles, "I'm sorry Kizzy, I really am."

I check out the guy, Jed it has to be, good fucking God. Benita is crying silent tears and my heart goes out to her. This is all my fault. I'm a horrible person. I try to catch her eye to reassure her that things will be ok but she won't look at me, and I can sense her disappointment.

Trying to take back some control I turn to the guy, "You must be Jed right?"

He bows mockingly and I use this to gather some bravado, "Can you let my sister move to the couch, she's pregnant."

"Aww isn't that nice."

He grins wildly and motions for Star to help Benita up. I fight back the urge to slap Star as she passes. What a bitch! After all, I've done for her. I want to ask B where Phoenix is but I daren't, he's obviously done a bunk again.

Jed gestures towards the kitchen and points at me "Go make some coffee and while you're at it a sandwich wouldn't go amiss."

I glare at him all the while wondering if I should go in there and grab a knife. Memories of the guy in Camden float past and I know I can kill him if pushed then I look at poor B and realize that I don't want to. I have a family now, this isn't the way.

Star looks at me imploringly and I glower at her.

"I'll help with the drinks Kiz...Jed'll mind Benita."

Benita looks alarmed but gives me a nod as if to say she'll be okay. Jed switches on the TV and kicks off his trainers. My blood boils, what an arsehole...what a dangerous arsehole. I storm into the kitchen and Star hurriedly follows. I turn viciously and she flinches as I pull her towards me.

"Just tell me why?" I whisper, "What do you want?"

She opens her mouth and then closes it again as Jed calls out to her. Shaking her head sadly she leaves the room. I turn on autopilot put out mugs and switch the kettle on. This is bad, very bad, and where the fuck is Phoenix?