Chapter 63

Chapter 63.

Kizzy.

Ok, B and I both have the paper spread out in front of us. It's not that bad actually, although it does make me come across as a wayward teen gang member. I study the words and the bitterness is evident, surely the world will believe me now although part of me wonders why it really matters. I've never been one to overly worry about who likes me and who doesn't but for some reason this stings... it's like a blood-sucking leach on my leg and I want it gone.

I point to my photograph and say to B, "What do you think then... Hollywood next stop?"

Benita laughs, "Sorry not letting you go, need you here."

"How about making Star an aunt?" I say innocently ducking as a pillow narrowly misses my head.

I look at Dad on the next page, big smile, Mr Ordinary. No one would ever suspect him of any wrongdoing I'd go as far as to say he looks wholesome. I turn the page and for some annoying reason, I smile.

Star, 3 weeks later.

She hid behind a wall watching the shop. Every time she mustered the courage to put a foot forward she would hurry back to safety.

Star's heart was racing she needed Kizzy on her side. Dante was bleeding her dry and who knows what he would do next. If she had thought that Jed was bad well Dante was on a different level.

Taking a huge gulp of air she lifted her head and strode forward repeating the word HOPE over and over.

Kizzy.

The one thing I hate about the bakery is the bloody bell. I hear it buzz as I concentrate on removing a tray of croissants from the oven.

"Hello, Kizzy."

I stop dead in my tracks, please tell me she hasn't been so dumb. I turn around...yep she has.

"What the fuck are you doing here?"

She takes that as a positive sign and slithers forward, "I thought we could talk..."

I shake my head, "No, we did our talking at Mayfair, no more talk."

Her eyes fill with tears here we go turn on the waterworks...

She rushes behind the counter and grabs my arm, "I'm begging you...please just hear me out."

I look at her tiny hand clasped to my arm and shake her off. She stiffens, mortally wounded I've hurt her, good.

"Star if you've got any smidgeon of sense you'll get the fuck out while you can."

She holds her hand up, "OK but please just listen, or at least agree to meet me I need to talk urgently...I've no one else."

God don't this bitch know that I've zero interest in anything she could tell me. I watch the desperation in her eyes and I wonder if this is how Dad feels the moment before a kill where only he decides who lives or dies...But right now my mind is pumping playing out various scenarios. I see the hope in her face...No Star, hope is for losers.