Untitled Part 4

Chapter 4.

I liken myself to a Meercat. My eyes are always open and ears alert for any whisper of change on the street. There's been gossip for a few days that something's up. A few girls have been beaten up and had their money taken. This is a daily hazard, but it seems to be happening a lot more than usual.

I walk with Podge breathing deeply allowing the morning air to blow away any cobwebs. My thoughts turn morbidly to the future. As much as I love Lulu I don't want to end up like her. A wave of gloom threatens to suffocate as I pull up my sleeve and stare blankly at the fresh scars. In a weird sense, they're comforting, and more are always available should the need be. A trusty piece of glass is better than a best friend. Scratch and rip and watch the blood drip.

Wondering how much longer I'll be able to live in the box I amble on. To me, it's a home, like living inside a dark secret, but the reality is it's just not safe. I have people who sometimes watch out for me, but with the best will in the world that won't always be enough.

Later on, I tuck Podge into the sleeping bag and head back to work. Hair parted in the middle, minimal make up so I'm feeling pretty good. Less is always more as far as I'm concerned.

There are many reasons why I love Soho. The noise is top of the list. Noise means company so I can roam the streets whatever the hour and be whoever I want. No past, no future, just now.

I walk by Todd's bakery and bang on the window, he waves cheerfully and I turn and chuckle at some men hurrying out of a sex shop with their brown paper bags. I stare in one of the windows at a poster of a glitzy porn star and wonder what her dream was...

Soon I become aware of someone standing just that little too close for comfort. I don't acknowledge him but his aftershave is overpowering.

"Excuse me, Miss."

I turn and peer at him briefly. "Yes?"

"Just wondered what you're up to..."

"It depends..."

He clears his throat. "One hundred pounds to beat a very bad boy..."

Wow, he's direct. I sigh. "I don't do group stuff you know."

He chuckles and reaches for my hand in a fatherly way. "My dear I don't want sex, I just want punishment."

I wonder where all the normal guys have gone...

We walk along and pass Lulu sitting alone in the office. I wink and wave. She frowns, lighting up another cigarette in a bid to stamp out her envy of my youth. For God's sake it's hardly my fault she's old.

On Shaftesbury Avenue, my escort hails a cab to the good old Hilton Hotel. He briefs me quickly on what to say should we be stopped by security.

"Now are we clear?"

I nod solemnly. "I'm your niece Arabella from Winchester."

The cab purrs along and he smiles while patting me on the head like a good dog. "Excellent, now we're here, big smile please."

We walk through the plush doors and the doorman eyes me suspiciously. I lower my gaze demurely. Pointless really he more than knows who I am.

"Good evening Sir." He said insincerely doffing his hat

My client nods and steers me off to the side. He instructs me to wait while he goes to reception to check for messages. I sit down and try my best to slip into the persona of Arabella from Winchester. She sounds like a snooty bitch ha ha.