Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Kizzy.

Benita and Phoenix rush into the corridor while I stand rooted to the spot.

"Lucky! Lucky!" they scream, so loud and tortured. My world feels as if it's crumbling to dust.

The woman who was doing the ceremony rushes up, "Let's not panic, she can't have got far...probably just hiding for a giggle."

All of us race up to strangers in and out of the hall. "Have you seen a little girl dressed in a pink tutu...dark hair, real pretty?" Nothing...

We are met by concerned shakes of the head. Then a cleaning lady comes out pointing to the door, "Think I saw her leaving with her Daddy not that long ago..."

"Impossible!" shouted Phoenix, "I'm her Dad!"

The lady gasped, "Oh my Goodness."

Benita wails and falls to the floor before jumping up, "Who left the fucking door open?"

My heart is racing, I swear I'm going to die...there's no way out, I have to be honest.

"I did it...I'm so sorry...I..."

She rushes at me punching my arm Phoenix grabs her, "Stop it! This isn't going to help get her back." He turns to a security guard, "Call the Police, check cameras!"

By now a group has gathered. I feel like I'm standing in a fish bowl...gone with her Daddy? Well, it's either a dodgy raincoat or it's...Dante. Deep down I know it's him, I mean come on, he's been following me around for God knows how long. Awful that he's resorted to using a kid but I know this is payback... and this is HUGE. I'll be lucky if Benita ever speaks to me again. I glance at Phoenix hoping for some reassurance but he turns away...Ok then, this is how it's going to be.

The Police arrive and we are all taken into a room. The cleaner is questioned thankfully for us she has a shit hot memory. We watch her sitting there beaming nervously with her new-found fame. The officer asks her to repeat the description while security scan through the camera footage.

She looks at us half smiling unsure of how to act, "It's like I said, he was tall, short dark hair...nice looking chap." She hesitated, "Dead polite too."

I look at Benita feeling as if I'm walking to my execution. "It's Dante."

She stands up and lunges at me again, "YOU! You caused this you and you're constant SHIT!"

Phoenix holds her tightly, "Calm down B PLEASE. This really doesn't help!"

She shrugs him off, I look at her curiously she's crazed, like an animal...who is this person?

"You think I care? I always knew that little rat would bring nothing but trouble to our family! Tried to warn Dad but he wouldn't listen...too soft for his own bloody good!"

She looks at me with such hate that I'm stunned...like what? Did I fucking just hear that? I search her eyes for any regret. There isn't any. I guess there are some things there's no coming back from.

An officer bursts into the room, "We've got him on camera!"

We all head to the security room with our hearts on the floor. As we walk words are empty, useless, Lucky Locket has gone and I've no idea if she's ever coming back.