Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Kizzy.

"At least open the cage so that I can check her...her nappy might need changing...anything!"

He sighs as if I'm putting him out, "Her nappy is fine Janis...or should I be calling you Kizzy?"

I scowl, sneaky son of a bitch. "Ok you know my name, so fucking what?"

He crosses his arms solemnly, "You tried to get me put away for murder."

I shrug so not bothered. "Guess I did... See you were my only option, I had no choice...better you than me."

A flicker of annoyance scampers across his face quickly replaced by a deep frown. "Only thing is I could have gone away for LIFE." He points fiercely, "While YOU!..."

"Well...yeah I get your point but why take Lucky?"

He sighs as if talking to a simpleton, "Because by hurting your family I get to you...and here you are."

Cocky little shit.

"So what now...when are you planning on letting Lucky go?"

He yawns rudely, "Not sure, haven't decided yet."

I look over at her and feel terrible. She must be so frightened.

"Can you please wake her up so I can see her properly?"

He strokes my face and I flinch, something in me touches him, I see it trying to hide like shame. He walks to the cage and opens the door. I look at him sneering, Ha, I'm not falling for that...I know the score...I go into the cage and the door slams behind me. He must think I was born yesterday.

"You get her," I say.

He reaches inside and lifts her out. Her little limbs stretch as she starts to wake. He places her on the floor and I go to her. "Lucky Locket it's Kiz...wake up Chubby."

Her dark lashes flutter then very slowly she opens her eyes, a slow smile spreading across her face, "Iz..."

I nod while patting her head, "I'm here, don't worry I'm here."

I turn to Dante my face like thunder, "Get her milk, food...I take it you do have these things?"

He gets up, "Of course."

While he fucks about in the kitchen area I look around, there doesn't seem to be anything that I can hit him with. I have the knife down my sock but that's a messy problem and also I don't actually want to kill him...I just want to get Lucky out of here...SHIT.

Benita.

She stared out of the window, a lonely figure. Sadness was slowly drowning her and try as she might she just could not muster up any hope and she knew that without hope there was nothing.

Phoenix lay in bed. He did not know how to reach her. It was as if she was dying a slow painful death. He thought about Lucky and what that creep might be doing to her. The Police needed to pull their fingers out. The more time that went by the less likely they were to get her back in one piece.

He also wondered where his sister had gone... He thought that she would have been calling constantly to come home. The silence was unnerving. His eyelids grew heavy, Benita would just have to get herself to bed he had no more energy.

Kizzy.

I've fed Lucky, changed and washed her too. The facilities here are pretty basic...so now we are sitting just staring at each other.

Lucky hasn't said much but she's clinging to me for safety and sucking her thumb. I can see her eyes growing heavy. Dante stands up and attempts to take her, "She's got to go back in the cage now."

My eyes flash, "No she's staying with me she's not going back in there."

He walks away then turns, "Look I'm not risking her getting away ok..."

"Dante she's a fucking baby and can barely talk."

He folds his arms, his mouth set in an obstinate streak, "Back in the box now!"

"Look I thought the deal was we'd do a swap?"

He smiles meanly, "Well maybe I've changed my mind."

I place Lucky in the cage carefully then stand up with my fists bared. He pushes me down with the tips of his fingers pressed to my forehead. I land with a thud then he kneels before me, "You can't do anything to me..."