Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Kizzy

Phoenix is told to go outside to start the fire and 'get the show on the road.' We've loads of bits of wood in the garden so it shouldn't be that hard. I pray that Podge and Cheto have crossed over the rainbow bridge so they don't feel any pain. I mean we all think dead's dead...what if it's not?

Dad doesn't seem remotely bothered so I guess I'll save that thought for another day. He walks into the kitchen and opens the back door, "Now are we all clear?"

"Yes Dad," says Phoenix not sounding clear at all. He enters the garden slowly, his legs dragging as if they weigh a ton and Dad closes the door. He watches him methodically dragging bits of wood and debris to the pile. Anything that will burn is fair game.

Phoenix builds like he's creating a complex Lego figure then stands back breathing heavily. I can tell he's shitting himself and wants the whole thing over with like yesterday. Nervously checking the neighbour's window he walks over to the dogs and picks them up one at a time carefully placing them on the stick castle. Jed is waiting patiently by the back door...for some reason, this gives me a fit of the giggles, obviously, it's just nerves I mean I'm not that bad, I just like to see bad people get what's coming to them.

Matches are struck in seemingly slow motion then a flame hisses to life, spitting and licking its way to strength. I watch fascinated standing side by side with Dad as if we are partners. Inside I cry as any form of the dogs are eaten up. The flames may be orange but black is the only colour I see.

Jed is rolled slowly. I imagine the fire saying 'Hurry up I'm starving here!' Phoenix is doing his best but Dad's impatient tapping away at the window and pointing. I push away happy images of Podge and Cheto, there's no point in dwelling in the past now. The flames devour Jed at a ferocious pace. I contemplate how we all end up in the same place, in the awaiting arms of eternal flames. Shuddering I can't help thinking that it's all kind of beautiful in a gothic kind of way.

Phoenix stares back at us lost in desperation and anger. He thinks I've got the better deal because Dad loves me...How dumb can he be? I don't want his love, I wish he was dead but knowing my luck he's invincible, a superhero gone to the dark side.

If Phoenix didn't know before then he's in no doubt now where he sits on the affection list. To be honest I'm surprised he hasn't been killed. It's quite obvious that Dad's plans don't include him.

The flames devour the meal with an alarming hunger. I watch as a black haze rises from the fire swirling as if the souls are leaving. Dad lets Phoenix back inside and locks the door patting him on the back.

We head back into the front room, "Anyone for tea?" asks Dad looking pointedly at Star. She stands slowly to head to the kitchen then stops dead. The buzzer from the front door rings through the house and it's a buzz that's demanding a response.

We all look at each other foolishly...what now? Dad creeps towards the window and peeps through the blinds before turning to face us, "It's the bloody Police...God as if my day can't get any worse."

My heart's thumping as I try to read his eyes...what's his next move? Are we all going to die? I've never felt more like Melissa in my life, I think I'm actually terrified...where the fuck is Kizzy?