part 17

Chapter 17

I approach my box with apprehension and am relieved to find no Rose.

"Podge it's me. I'm home."

He doesn't bark which is strange but I can hear him shuffling and snuffling around. I draw back the curtain and gasp. A fresh blooming red rose has been placed on my sleeping bag. Angrily I snatch it and pull back the curtain. The silence laughs at me. Back inside the box, I watch as Podge continues to slurp a delicious-looking meaty stew from a new stone bowl.

"Podge, what the hell... who gave you this?"I ask stupidly while peering out of the spy hole in a fit of paranoia.

He finishes his dinner with a huge snort and lays down contentedly twitching his tail. Once again I throw the rose as far as I can and march back to my box, anger flooding through me. I will have to move, I see that now. Someone has been in my home, touching my things. A shiver runs through me and I feel more violated than I did from the rape. My mind searches into dark corners trying to work out who it could be. Gale is out of the question. Perhaps someone saw me leave Camden and is trying to put the wind up me... Todd is a definite no. I watch Podge sleeping peacefully feeling irritated at his disloyalty. I decide to stay awake all night in case my visitor returns and when he does I'll make him wish that he hadn't bothered. I'm thankful that no money was left in the tin as no doubt that would have vanished. My torch flickers softly and darkens just as my eyes close and my head drops onto my chest.

Feeding time suburbia

Gale screams and curses himself for being so stupid, this only makes the man laugh louder. He looks around in desperation and sees that he is in a basement. His vision is blurred as his captor's face sails in and out. He remembers vaguely seeing a blue Vauxhall parked outside the house, trying to make a run for it, then nothing.

"Why are you doing this?" he mumbles trying to focus. "I don't understand..."

"Oh you will fairy boy, you will all in good time."

Gale drifts unconscious again and wakes when he feels warm liquid splatter all over his face. A shadow stands above him as a wave of nausea rises from the back of his throat. He turns his head away.

"I'm going to be sick..."

The man shudders and fetches paper towels. "For God's sake, you street kids have no bloody manners."

He comes back into view and roughly begins to wipe Gale's face making him yelp.

"If you think that hurts bunny you've got a lot to learn."

Gale feels chills run through his bones biting viciously into his toes. "I'm so cold...do you think I could have a blanket?"

The voice sighs loudly, put upon. "Oh, I suppose so."

He walks towards the door.

"When can I go home?" rasps Gale overtaken by a desperate adrenaline burst.

His captor turns back cheerfully. "I'm not sure yet, maybe I'll keep you as a pet...who knows?"

The door slams and the key echoes through the lock. Gale peers hopelessly around the room as an army of shakes descends. He desperately needs a fix to be able to think straight. His teeth chatter relentlessly as he bites down hard trying to focus. He has no idea how much time has passed until he feels the sharp jab of a needle and warm liquid shoot through his veins floating him away to Heaven.

"There you go, that should do you for now."

"Thank you," says Gale dreamily. Whatever happens now he will cope, after all what choice does he have?