09. Wheels

"You can't join the Cheerios" 

Glee was about to start and Becca was sitting there, trying to finish up the mystery book she was reading for fun

Glee was about to start and Becca was sitting there, trying to finish up the mystery book she was reading for fun. She glanced at the time and our of the corner of her eye, she noticed Artie was struggling to tie his shoe. "Need any help, Artie?" She asks him. 

"Um yeah." Artie said, visibly embarrassed. "Can't get this thing tied."

"Yeah I get that." Becca said as she got down to tie his shoe for him. "I struggle with that too sometimes. But if you need help with anything else, don't hesitate to ask!"

"Thanks Becca." he said, Becca moves her stuff to sit by him as the pair keep talking, Kurt joining in when he shows up. The conversation ended once Mr. Schue came in, passing out the sheet music for the next song they were going to rehearse.

"I know that pop songs have sort of been our signature pieces," Mr. Schue tells the group. "but I did a little research on past winners. It turns out that the judges like songs that are more accessible. Stuff they know. Uh standards, Broadway."

Glancing down at the song he picked Becca and Kurt suddenly got really excited. "Defying Gravity?" Kurt exclaims, "I have a playlist exclusively dedicated to selections from Wicked. This is amazing."

"Same here." Becca adds, "Not to be basic but it's one of the shows that got me into theatre."

Ignoring the comments of his students, Mr. Schue looks directly at Rachel. "Think you can handle it, Rachel?"

Immediately becoming disinterested in the conversation if Rachel was going to just be handed the solo. While Becca knows she needs a lot more work before she can even think to hit one of those high notes in the song, she wishes he would give anyone else in the club a shot like Mercedes or even Kurt. The two sang along to this song all the time, Becca tapping out before the ending to avoid straining her voice, but Kurt always went for it. And even though Mercedes's an alto like her, she knows that girl has a killer voice and would make this song hers. 

Going back to the second, frankly more pressing matter, Mr. Schue gains Becca's attention again. "Onto item two. The school won't pay for the special bus we need to take Artie and his wheelchair with us to Sectionals."

"W-W-What?" Tina says.

"That's completely unfair." Rachel states.

Thinking about what little she knows, Becca raises a pressing issue to that, "Isn't that against the law?" She asks, "Feels like that's violating something."

"It's out of my hands." Mr. Schue says,  not even acknowledging the potential lawsuit. "So that means we're gonna have to raise the money to pay for it ourselves. See when I was in Glee Club and we needed new silk cummerbunds for Regionals, we held a bake sale."

The team was completely uninterested in the idea. Whether it be because they're bougie, they find baking confusing, their family's committed to take out, or just that teens are busy. Becca even mentioned that the reason they probably won't work out realistically is that everyone in the school hates them. As much as Artie's worth it, they need to find another money raising venture to get the bus... Or a really good lawyer.