21. Nationals

It All Comes Down to This

This is it. The New Directions were finally in Chicago for Nationals. Everything was at stake but of course, something always goes wrong. Mercedes was groaning in pain as the girls (minus Rachel who refused to come in without a mask and gloves on) were trying to help her out.

Finally getting to his student, Mr. Schue asks Sue what's happening. "Her temperature's one hundred and one degrees and given that Wheezy's complaining of an upset stomach, it's either Amazonian Dengue Fever or the H1N1 Super Virus."

"Or I have food poisoning," she groans, trying to sit up from the bed before getting pushed back down by Quinn.

Santana explains to the adults that all the girls went to get burritos for lunch and everyone but Mercedes went to Chipotle. Instead, she wanted to try a smaller place that ended up being in disaster.

As Sue pulls Mr. Schue over, Becca holds out a cup of water and some medicine to her friend, tells her to drink this. "Here's also a trash can. In case it doesn't, you know... Stay down."

Gaining his students attention, Mr. Schue claps his hands together announcing that Mercedes is on bed rest while Quinn's stepping in. "No, no, no, no, no." Quinn says, "I can't dance that number or sing it either."

"The Troubletones need you," Mr. Schue states. At Tina and Becca's encouragement, he also assigns both of them to the number as well. Mercedes wants to keep performing as it's her last competition. Sue agrees and her mission is to make her able to perform.

* * *

With one less performer, the stress in the rehearsal room was at its peak. Even when the team was without a set list or when they were just fighting, nothing was as tense as it was in the room right then. Noticing how Puck was studying for his Geography test instead of rehearsing, Sam was irritated beyond belief. The two got into a fight and Becca tried to help the others separate the two boys.

Did she think she could herself? Absolutely not. But was Becca going to try? Yes. Was it a smart think to do when she's already overwhelmed? 

Absolutely not.

Neither wanted to hurt her so they called for Finn to grab her, which he did. While the other guys went to hold the two teens back, he drags her from the two and gets her standing. Shaking her head, she goes to sit behind some tables and puts her head in her lap to try and not be as overwhelmed as she feels. She was this close to running out to smash the glass she bought her friends for there wedding... She'd buy him a new glass. 

Feeling a hand on her shoulder, she looked up to find Joe standing there, wondering if she was okay. She quietly explains that she hates fighting. "Got it," he said. "I'll try to stop them."