07. The Substitute

"Sounds like you have a crush" 

Mr. Schue was out sick and the Glee Club was already in shambles. Talking about the distater that was the last rehearsal, Kurt, Mercedes, and Becca were going through the lunch line. "I'm shaking." Kurt exclaims, "It's either from low blood sugar or rage. It was only a matter of time before Rachel tried to take over Glee Club."

"Yeah, I love Rachel and all but dear god does that girl know how to get on everyone's nerves." Becca agrees, "A part of me wishes Sam wasn't holding Santana back."

Mercedes just laughs at the girl, "You just wish he was holding you." This caused Becca to not make eye contact with either of her friends, finding her lunch tray more interesting than anything else. Apparently everyone thinks she likes Sam. Everyone except her. 

Pulling her attention back into the conversation was Mercedes talking about their plans for tonight. That was when Kurt realized he never canceled, much to Mercedes disappointment. "I've been looking forward to it all week. Wait, are you two going out? Because I think you need to come clean."

"Mercedes, we can still go together." Becca told her friend, agreeing that they'll just make it a girls night, "But I've heard nothing and you already have my approval to date him." Blaine and Becca had a full out argument over which was better Marvel or DC despite both being avid Marvel fans. Kurt just watched this happen over lunch one day, thankful that Becca had as she says, educated him on the subject of superheroes. Though it was all in good fun, the two hit it off and Becca was already rooting for him and Kurt to get together. 

Kurt however, felt the need to set the record straight, "Nothing's going on, I don't want another Jesse-Rachel traitor scenario to overcome. Both of you, please. Mum's the word."

Mercedes looks over at her friend, "But Kurt, we'd be happy for you. I mean, we know how lonely you've been."

"We just hang out, and nothing about Glee Club ever comes up... It's just nice to have someone to talk to." His two girlfriends look at him, pretty offended. Noticing this, Kurt felt the need to correct himself, "I mean someone like me, who's out and proud. But I promise to make it up to you both, we'll all hang out Friday night."

Mercedes disappointment washed away as she got tots, but decided to continue the Glee Club conversation. "What are we going to do about Glee Club now that Mr. Schue is sick?" Becca was about to say something, but Mercedes cut her friend off, "No Becca, you aren't running it. Sam's told me how you've almost fallen asleep on him in bio. I'm not letting you have another thing on your plate."

This being the first he's heard of this, Kurt looked at his friend concerned. Becca wanted to make sure everyone knew she was okay, "It's not my fault the class is boring. I've just been staying up late reading and no Kurt, that isn't code for anything bad or sad.. I've literally just gotten back into reading and I can't stop." As the three find a table to sit, she looks at her friend, "Any idea?"