19. Dream On

Talks of Dreams and a First 

Mr. Schue interrupted Matt, Mike, and Becca making plans. They were planning on going to the arcade together after their next dance lesson when their choir director walked in with a random stranger. Clapping to get everyone's attention, Mr. Schue looks at his students. "Okay guys, listen up!" Putting his hand on the blonde man's shoulder, he introduces him to the club. "This is Mr. Ryan. He's a member of the school board and he would like to say a few words." Mr. Schue goes to take a seat but then turns right back to his students, "I-I just want you guys to listen critically and know that what he's saying is just one of many opinions."

Mr. Ryan asks everyone to take out a sheet of paper, explaining that you need to write down your biggest dream on said sheet. After being the paper dealer to Matt, Mike, and a guilty looking Finn, Becca stared down at the sheet of paper, not knowing what to write. She has dreams, too many. She couldn't just pick one. Her internal dilemma was cut short when Mr. Ryan tore Artie's piece of paper and threw it in the garbage. "Your dream is never going to happen." he shouts. Becca turns to make eye contact with Quinn who has the same look of shock on her face.

Continuing on, he makes sure to look at each of the students. "Ninety-one percent of you will spend your entire lives living in Allen County, Ohio. So unless you wrote down that your dream was to work for a mid-market health insurance provider or find an entry-level job in an elderly-care facility, you're going to be very disappointed. I'm going to guess that a lot of your dreams involved showbiz. Well let me tell you, showbiz dreams are the most unrealistic of them all."

Tina looks at him, emotions about to get the best of her. "But... that's what I want to do with my life."

Mr. Ryan took one look at her and spoke, "Look, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings. I'm just trying to spare you disappointment."

Wanting this to end as to not crush his students dreams, Mr. Schue spoke up, telling him that everyone understood his lesson. Not letting Mr. Schue one up him, Mr. Ryan continues on his dream crushing spree. "Aw well, Schuester here's a prime example. He used to have that glimmer of hope in his eyes that I can see right now in all of yours. But... he couldn't make it happen for himself so he now has to try and convince you all that it'll happen for you. Guess what. His dream didn't work out and neither will yours."

Seeing Tina burst into tears was the last straw for Becca. "Okay dude. I don't know what your problem is but we all get it, you're bitter about your dream not working out. That sucks I'm sorry." The rest of the club looks over at her, grateful for the support. "But seriously, we're all high schoolers. We still got a chance, we could be the nine percent who get out. And dude, you're what thirty, thirty-five? You still could achieve your dreams. It's not too late."

Mr. Schue takes a stand. "She's right. You're done here."

"You would be wise to show me some respect and to make sure these students of yours do the same." Mr. Ryan demanded, getting in his face.