15. Bash

Trigger Warning for physical assault and hate crimes

Please message me if you want to know either what happens this chapter or the specific part to avoid if it's a trigger for you and I will try my best to get back to you!

I've Seen it All, and I'm Still Here 

At the start of the new year, the New York gang started having weekly potlucks

At the start of the new year, the New York gang started having weekly potlucks. It's a way of the group staying in touch when the big city gets to be too much. Mercedes, Sam, and Blaine had just arrived. Becca was quick to greet them and to task them with helping set out everything needed. 

As Mercedes was grabbing the utensils, a flyer that was tacked to the fridge caught her eye. "Hey who's this?"

"That's our neighbor's friend, Russ," Rachel explains. "He got beat up last week."

"That's a nice way of saying he got gay-bashed," Kurt corrects bluntly. "Or as Becca and I say, he was hate crimed."

What they were told, Russ was just walking down Bleecker Street when random people jumped out of a pick up truck and decided to randomly beat him up. What pissed Becca off most about the story was that it took about a dozen passerby's till someone called 911. "I don't get how nobody stepped in," Becca replies. "I get not physically stepping in, but no phone calls? Not one video while someone else calls so theirs proof that something happened. Absolutely nothing... I love you guys but I hate people."

There was one good thing with the story. "He's lucky to be alive," Blaine adds. "Not everyone gets to say that."

Everyone gathers around the table, passing the food around. "It's so depressing," Artie continues. "Hate crimes in America are decreasing yet in New York, they're increasing. Why?"

Blaine had an idea. "Well a few ignorant idiots just hate the idea that we're finally being accepted. They hate the fact that we're marrying, they hate the fact that we're moving into neighborhoods that are supposedly 'straight' so they lash out by trying to kill us."

Out of all of them, Kurt needed a topic change. More so no food goes to waste but it does upset him a lot and he knows Becca feels it too, same with Blaine. Technically the dumpster tosses they both experience their Sophomore and Freshman year respectively could just be bullying but could be classified as a hate crime since it was spurred by Kurt's sexuality and Becca's associate with him (and probably gender played a role in it). "NYADA midwinter critiques are upon us and our fearless leader Madame Tibideaux-"