03. The Quarterback

"I can't lose you"

It's been three weeks

Three weeks since Burt and Carole lost their son. 

Three weeks since Kurt and Becca lost their brother. 

Three weeks since Rachel lost her soulmate. 

Three weeks since the New Directions lost their leader. 

Three weeks since William McKinley High School lost it's quarterback.

Fortunately, everyone was able to come back for the special memorial that Mr. Schue held for the club- including Brittany who was able to take time off from the math world. Unlike every other time that Mr. Schue turned from the whiteboard for the newest assignment with excitement, he couldn't bring himself to do it this time. There was no use in trying to hype them up.

Before he could speak, Quinn walked in dragging behind the one person beside Rachel that nobody had heard from since the news broke. Becca was out of her Cheerios uniform, wrapped up in the oh so familiar letterman jacket. "I hope we're not too late," Quinn states.

"Just on time," Mr. Schue tells them both. Quinn and Becca walk in- well Quinn was more so dragging Becca. Putting the girl in between Sam and Kurt, she went to go sit behind her friend and next to Puck. 

Seeing that everyone is here besides Rachel, Mr. Schue felt glad that they all were going to be here for this. "The funeral was for everyone, but I wanted to do something just for us. To memorialize him the only way we know how- by singing. All week long. Anyone who wants to can come up and sing. Maybe a song he sang, maybe something that reminds you of him."

"Singing isn't going to bring him back," Puck calls out.

And he was right. "Nothing is. Not ever. But... for two minutes or so, we can all remember the best parts of him. So think of what you want to sing, if you want to sing, and we'll start tomorrow."

Mercedes couldn't handle it. She can't wait any long. Looking over to her friends, she knows that this will be difficult for two of them in particular because they were there. "I um, remember Finn telling me that he sang this song, he sang this song to his baby's sonogram and imagined the baby listening. Well he thought it was his baby. He was the first cool kid to be nice to any of us, and he was our leader here... We love you, Finn."

As soon as the first notes were playing, Kurt grabbed her hand, both of them knowing what song she was about to sing.

I'll Stand by You

Originally by The Pretenders

Performed by Mercedes Jones