In

Kevin's granddad phoned earlier, he told us he'd be moving the date closer. He'd be here by tomorrow night. We only had one bedroom, so unfortunately, Kevin and I would be sharing the couch. He offered to stay in a hotel, but Kevin wouldn't feel right about it; he insisted that he stay with us.

I was a bit worried for that; I'm always a bit embarrassed about showing affection in front of other people, especially family. But Kevin assured me there was nothing to be embarrassed of.

The day he came, we showed him around the apartment and Kevin's office. We brought him to the local diner and the movies; he was quite fun to be with. We spent all day together, really. He told us about what was going on at the farm, the new friend he had made at the post office, and his new chicken.
We retired early that first night. We came back home and Kevin's granddad went right to bed. Still riding on the nerves from earlier, my husband and I stayed up at cleaned the kitchen a little. We had to be quiet, as to not disturb his grandfather's rest, but it was nice to have a little alone time. I love to be with his family, but being with others tires me nonetheless. It was nice to just be me and him.

"Wine?" Kevin offered

"No, wine gets.. gets me going too much"

"You sure? Wine makes everything feel romantic.. even just cleaning the kitchen. Makes it feel luxurious.."

"Well, maybe a bit.."

Kevin poured two small glasses of wine,   Taking his with him as he put away all the clean dishes.

"So how're you doing?" Kevin asked me as we worked

"Good.. tired.. I-I like him a lot, though. He's nice... It's really nice to have family.."

"Yeah.. he adores you. Thinks you're a great kid. He's right. You're a wonderful kid."

"I'm a little... on edge, though. I-I get nervous when we have guests.. even though I love him, I can't.. can't seem to relax.."

"Oh.. poor thing, what can I do?"

"I don't think there's anything.. I'm just going to be stressed for a while, I think.. I-I even get that way around mom.. after an hour, I just get exhausted and tense" I sighed

"I'm sorry... why don't we relax tonight? Stay up a while longer, just get that stress out of your system.. nothing special, just take some time to ourselves"

"That sounds good.. I need.. need a little bit to unwind"

"Great.. why don't you go lay on the couch; I'll finish the dishes"

"No, I'll help.. honestly, I-I hate other people doing work I can do... it'll only make me feel badly. Besides, if we do... do it together, it'll hardly take any time at all.."

"Alright.. you dry the plates, I'll wash."

We finished in about ten minutes, and Kevin poured us both another drink.

"Do you mind cognac?"

"Not at all.. man, you're breaking out the good stuff. W-What's the occasion?"

"No occasion, I just felt like a bit of cognac.. you wanted to relax, nothing relaxes me quite as much as cognac"

"Really? I've always found comfort in a good aged wine.. though I've o-only ever had cognac once before."

"I think you'll like it.. it's a nice one.."

He sat down beside me on the couch, handing me the glass.

"Oh wow.. that is quite good.." I sighed after the first sip.