Penny In My Pocket

We spent weeks at Mrs. Price's house. It was a long process, being home in only bursts of a couple hours, to pack our things. Over the next few weeks, we put our house on the market, and found a place of our own in Boston.

Before we knew it, we were having our last night at his mom's house. Our last family dinner at the house. It was almost kind of sad, having to leave. I love her so much, I'm heartbroken that we'll only ever see her once every couple months at most.

Kevin and I made the dinner that night. It took a while, it's still hard for me to get around on my own. But they didn't mind. Mrs Price was patient, and Kevin helped me out any way he could.

"Connor, you can sit down you're going to wear yourself out.. take a break."

"No way.. I don't want to take a-a break, I'm plenty strong enough"

"I know you are, but you don't need to prove it. Don't tire yourself"

"I'm fine!! Hand me the the oregano, will you?"

"You're stubborn, McKinley" he sighed, handing me the bottle of dried oregano

"I know."

"..At least let me get everything for you. Stop going back and forth between the stove and the pantry, just stay there. Give your poor muscles a rest, alright?"

"Fine.. but I'm not happy about it"

"Oh I know you're not. But I am.. if that means anything"

I gave a soft smile, excusing my annoyance.

He helped me finish dinner, but he insisted that he get my food for me. That I sit at the table and give my legs a break.
I gave in on that and let him serve me dinner, primarily for his own sense of comfort.

"So, your last night.. what time are you thinking of leaving?"

"Not until around eleven. If that's alright with you, of course"

"That's more than alright.. honestly, I don't ever want you kids to leave."

"We're gonna miss you too, Mom. But I'm really looking forward to having a place of our own again.. and a safe one, especially. I can't wait until that sicko is out of our lives forever"

"Couldn't c..come a moment too soon" I chuckled softly

"As soon as you're settled in, I want to visit"

"That sounds great..."

"Yeah, I'm gonna really miss you.. i-it was nice to live with a mom.. even for just a while... it'll be sad to leave this town behind, though. My grandparents.. they're buried here.. and the theater. Though I'm confident I can't set foot in that place ever again, I was looking forward to Hamlet."

"You know, there are a lot more theatre opportunities in Boston.. I think you'll find something that suits your fancy soon enough"

"Suits my fancy'...yes because contrary to popular belief, I'm a seventy-eight year old Englishman from the 1900s"

"You know, You used to dress like one"

"It was what looked good on me then!! I was an eighty nine pound child of abuse, the tweed was thick and it covered most of my body" I scoffed jokingly

"..You did look very nice in it. They are handsome on you.. you know, that's one of the first things that caught my eye.. you looked like Jude Law in that movie about Oscar Wilde, it was incredible, I'd never seen a man that gorgeous in my life"

I opened my mouth slightly, only a breathy chuckle emerging as I looked down at my plate.

"You're making me blush.."