Million Dollar Man

It was almost midnight.
I tip-toed around the house, packing up my backpack, and putting everything I needed for the night in there, including some food, a blanket, among a couple other things, as I threw on Kevin's jacket, sneaking past my blacked-out father. I went out the window instead of the door, it was the far quieter of the two options. At least I had a chance of not being caught, going out the window

As I made it safely to the yard, I checked my phone to find a new text from Kevin.

"Heading there now" it read

I texted him back letting him know I was on my way and slipped my phone back into my pocket, darting away from the house as quietly as I could. When I arrived at the school, I found that Kevin had already arrived. I shot him a smile and jogged over to the grass he was sat in. I sat down next to him, already shivering a bit from the wind's chill.

"Hey there! ..You cold, Sunshine?"

"Just a little.."I admitted, grabbing the blanket I had brought with me, draping it over the two of us. Kevin put his arm around me, smiling widely. We don't exactly get a lot of time alone together, he cherishes each moment we get just as much as I do

"Alright, so my dad usually wakes up around 8 in the morning, but he's shit-faced right now, so it's gonna take him a lot longer than usual. That leaves us with a couple of options. We can play it safe and start heading home around five, or we can stay out until school starts, and just hope that I was right about the late sleeping."

"Whatever you feel's best, it's up to you.. whatever's gonna keep you safe"

I thought for a moment. "We should probably play it safe and go home around five or six."

"Sounds good... Hey, I uh.. I brought you something"

"You did?" I smiled

Kevin nodded and searched through his backpack, finally pulling out a drawing he did, and handing it to me.

"..Did you do this, Kev?" I asked in complete awe

It was beautiful. Truly, incredible. It looked exactly like me.

"Yeah. Do you like it?"

"I love it... you're amazing! Thank you." I replied, carefully placing the drawing he had done of me in my bag, making sure not to wrinkle it.

"I brought you something as well. It's not as special as that drawing for sure, but I mean it's something" I smiled, handing him a cookie I had made earlier that day.

He smiled and kissed the top of my head

"It's not much, so I promise I'll make it up to you soon.."

"I love it, Sunshine." He assured me, a smile stuck on his face.

Damn it, I love that smile. Even his teeth were perfect. I have yet to find a single flaw with this man. I'm not sure one exists.

"You know, I've got a game coming up on Friday.. I'd love to see you there. If you can make it."

"..You want me to come?" My heart swelled

"Of course I do.. I need you there to cheer me on." He pulled me in for a kiss on the temple

"..I'll be there."

"Yeah? You don't have to if you think your dad might find out.."

"I think going to a sports game will probably be the most manly thing he's ever seen me do"

"..sports game?" He smile

"Shuddup.."

We laid there talking for hours upon hours, about whatever happened to flow through our minds. I loved every second of it. Every moment I spent with Kevin was a moment of genuine happiness and peace. Something I've rarely gotten before. He fell silent for a couple seconds only to exclaim "Holy shit, look at that star!"

I laughed and looked up at it with him. He was right, the star was beautiful. After around 6 seconds I looked back over at him, but he just stared at that star in complete awe, taking in every aspect and view of it. It was a very nice star, but nothing to write home about, but he seemed to absolutely love it. He seems to enjoy the underrated things in life, the things that don't get enough recognition. Things that you have to spend a long time pondering on to truly understand the beauty he sees in it.

I spent another few hours leaning on him, examining the night sky together. This is the most fun I've had in years. I checked my phone again, only to find that it was around six in the morning, and we had spent four and a half hours just looking at the sky and talking.

He helped my pick up and pack my stuff, placing his hand on my lower back and starting the walk home. We reached my door far too soon.

"...you know, I had a really great time. we should do this again, sometime."

"Name the day, Sunshine." He whispered, before kissing me softly 'goodbye'.

"I-I'll see you at school, I hope?"

"You can bet on it." He grinned, giving me one last hug and a kiss on the cheek, before making his way down the street to his house. I snuck back in through the same window, relieved to find that my father was still sleeping. I walked slowly and quietly up the carpeted stairs, and into my room hiding the jacket once again, and taking one more loving look at the drawing Kevin gave me, before locking it safely in the same drawer I stored the number he gave me on the first day of school. I changed into pajamas in the hopes of getting at least an hour of sleep. I crawled into bed, unable to think about anything but Kevin Price.