Mr Loverman

"Kevvy, we're going to be late!!"

"We don't have to be there at a certain time. He doesn't even know we're coming."

"Well, I want to be there in a timely manner!"

"And I want to look respectable!"

"You look fine!! He won't care!"

"I care. You know I've always cared what he thinks of me."

"I know. You'd always be a nervous wreck at his house.." I scoffed

"He was important to you. He was like a father. I wanted him to like me. I still do."

"Kevvy, he loves you. Why wouldn't he?"

"I dunno... Maybe he thinks I'm not good enough for his grandson.."

"Kevin, you know he absolutely adored you.. he saw how happy you always made me.. how I was calmer when you were around. You take care of me. And you love me. That's more than I thought I'd ever deserve, why wouldn't he love you for that?"

"I don't know. I want him to continue liking me.."

"He loves you. Don't worry so much."

"Alright.. do I look okay?"

"You look great." I smiled, admiring his white button down shirt, the sleeve cuffed to just before his elbows, the top few buttons undone, as he didn't like the feeling of the collar restricting his neck. He says it feels like he's being choked. I say to him 'and that's a problem?'. It always makes him laugh.

"Good. You look cute.." he grinned

"Are you ready to go?"

"I think so, yeah. Just don't let me forget to grab our lunch on the way out the door."

"I'll never remember that."

"I know you won't."

He grabbed his keys and wallet, and made sure to get the picnic basket on the way out.
I was smiling the whole drive. Kevin would look over at me, and try to suppress a giggle, but would ultimately fail, when he saw the grin on my face.

"...you are so darn cute."

"Am not.."

"Yeah.. you are. You're adorable."

I kept my mouth shut at that point, as I could feel my cheeks get warm. I knew that he'd keep telling me, and the more he'd say it, the more obvious my blushing would become. I decided to give up on fighting him on it.

"....this isn't stupid, is it?" I asked after he pulled into the parking lot

"No. I don't think it is. If I did, I wouldn't be so concerned with whether or not I think he'd like the way I'm dressed.." he said with a slight smirk

"You think he'll be glad we're here?"

"I think so."

"Good. I need to stop worrying. Why wouldn't he be glad?"

"Exactly! He'll be happy to see you."

We found our way to my grandfather's stone, and sat ourselves in front of it.

"Hey, granddad... happy birthday. Uhhh.. I'm sorry we haven't been here for your birthday in a while, that wasn't great of us. I hope you weren't lonely.. I think my heart'd just break if you were.." I spoke softly, letting out a slight chuckle so I didn't seem sad. I didn't want to seem pathetic.