Disarmed

Nobody knows me the way Kevin does. Nobody ever has, and I don't think anyone ever will. Few have tried to get to truly know me. And even still, he's the only one I've felt able to be fully open with. It's not that I didn't trust the others enough, I did. But there's something about him. You can pour your heart and soul to him. And you don't have to be afraid he'll judge you. He'll treat you gently and as calmly as he can. And it won't change anything about how he sees you... and he doesn't pity you. He makes you feel hopeful instead. He makes you feel stronger. Some think that you would want pity after things like that, but I do not. I want understanding, love, and encouragement. And he knows exactly how to give that to me. The perfect amount of comfort and and confidence in me.

In turn, I'm not afraid to open myself up to him. I'm not afraid of judgment or feeling ashamed. I know that nothing but good can come from it. It can only make me feel better.
So, I tell him everything. Even things that aren't important. He knows me. Better than anyone else. He knows my mannerisms and moods and everything one can know. He wanted to know it all, too. He can read me like a book, truly. But he still learns new things about me, daily. He says I never fail to surprise him. That he's never bored. Not for a second.

He knows me better than anyone ever could. He pays attention. And he takes like great pleasure in getting to know me better. He loves me. He truly, truly loves me.

"Baaaabe" Kevin huffed, pushing my hip

"What?" I grumbled, about to fall asleep before Kevin had shoved me

"Put some socks on, your feet are ice"

"I don't like sleeping with socks on.." I whined

"I don't like sleeping with cold feet on my calves.. put on socks or cut off your feet- just do something"

"Someone's in a mood.." I muttered, forcing myself up out of bed to put on socks.

"I'm grumpy, I know... I'm tired."

"So am i!! You're going to cuddle me back to sleep, you owe it to me."

"As long as you wear socks, it's a punishment I gladly accept.."

After I got the socks on, I slipped right back into bed, burying myself in my husband's chest. He began to gently tug and twist my hair. He played relentlessly with the curly red hair on top, then ran his fingers through the shorter sides, alternating routinely. That, along with the warmth of his body, I was completely ready to fall asleep.

"I... I need the blanket.." I mumbled, almost incoherently, wanting more of the blanket. I was nearly asleep, therefore I wasn't speaking very clearly.

"Shhhh, it's okay..." he whispered, pulling the blanket up to my chin "is that better?"

I nodded, mumbling something else unintelligible.

I tend to do that when I'm overtired. I just talk for the sake of talking. But due to my sleepy nature, it just comes out as nonsense slurs.

"Alright.. get some rest, sweetheart."

"Mnhm" I grunted, my voice muffled by the presence of his body

"Alright, attaboy. Goodnight. I love you with all my heart, okay?"

"Awww I love you toooooo"

What I said probably ended up as garbled nonsense, but it didn't really matter. He knew what I meant.

"Alright, good night.." he chuckled, beginning to rub my back.

I fell asleep rather quickly, though I was again woken by my phone buzzing softly on the nightstand. I grabbed it off the table and checked the number, though I didn't recognize it at all.
I slipped out of bed and into the bathroom, not wanting to wake Kevin when answering.