What Is What

I hadn't seen Kevin in a couple days.
I haven't even heard from him. I've texted and called him numerous times, but to no avail. Eventually, I couldn't just wait around and wonder any longer, I had to go see him.
I knocked on his door when I reached it, being greeted by his mother.

"Hi, Mrs Price. Is uh.. Is Kevin home?"

She took a deep breath before closing her eyes as if she didn't even want to say it.

"He's.. he's in the hospital.."

I nearly choked on my own breath

"...What? Why? I-Is he alright!?"

"He got into a little accident..His lung collapsed."

She looked absolutely heartbroken.

"Oh my god.. I-I'm so sorry.. I-I need to go see him.. good night." I took off towards the hospital in a panic. I ran as quickly as I could, not stopping until I reached the front desk.

"Do you have a Kevin Price here?" I puffed breathlessly

The woman searched her computer for a moment

"Are you family?" She asked

I hesitated for a moment before saying yes, as she likely wouldn't let me in if I wasn't. She seemed to detect my lie, but let it go.

"...Room 73"

"Thank you." I rushed up and down flights of stairs until I reached room 73. I pushed the door open, slowly so I didn't disrupt anything.

I was met by Kevin, unconscious on the bed, several tubes and wires connected to his sleeping body. I felt sick, just looking at him. stood there by his bedside for what was probably hours, waiting for him to wake. Eventually I had no choice but to sit down in the chair closest to the hospital bed, staring at him still. I wasn't able to take my eyes off of him. I didn't even bother checking my phone for the time. The only reason I ever truly use it is to talk to Kevin. My head was aching from the stress, but it wasn't important to me in the least. I just wanted him to wake up. To hear his voice and see him safe, with my own eyes.

After hours of nothing but sitting and staring at his hospital bed, my eyes slowly began to fall shut, interrupted by a short but loud inhale. I shot up from the slouch I was in, to find Kevin's eyes slowly opening.

"...Connor?" He asked quietly, his voice hoarse and crackling

"..Kevin. You're awake... What happened to you?"

"Uh, I... um... had a little accident... car went right for mine.." he mumbled, seemingly struggling to recall. Though it's not like I could blame him, he was clearly sedated.

"Jesus, Kev... How are you feeling?"

"Not well" he let out a raspy chuckle, followed by a slight wheeze

I walked over to him and reached for his hand. He took mine somewhat weakly.

" I'm so sorry this happened.. I'm so sorry I wasn't here faster- I came as soon as I heard."

"Don't be. It's not your fault.."

"Are you okay? Are you gonna be okay?"

"I'll be fine. Don't worry about me.." He was clearly lying, but I nodded anyway, desperate to believe it. "..what time is it?"

I pulled out my phone

"Eight"

"How long have you been here?"

"Since three."

"Go home, McKinley.. You gotta relax. Get some rest.."

"I'm not leaving, Kevin. I'm staying here with you." I ran my hands softly through his hair.