Finally

I woke with a groan to Kevin shaking me

"Hmm ?"

"It's getting late., You should get headed to your grandfather's house, he's probably wondering where you are."

"Oh, shit, I fell asleep? Why didn't you wake me up earlier?"

"Because you haven't gotten much sleep at all this week. You needed some rest..."

"What time is it?"

"Eleven."

"Oh you're right I gotta go..." I forced myself up

"Do you need to get stuff from your house?"

"Yeah, but I've gotta get in through the window."

"I'll go with you."

"If I get caught, you will too. I'll be fine on my own."

"I won't go in, but I'm going to help you get your stuff to your grandfather's. Alright?"

"Thank you." I stood up

"Sure thing. Let's go."

He got up and walked me to the door, opening it for me.

He reached for my hand. As I took it, I noticed that it was starting to peel and redden

"Have you been picking at your burns..?"

"A little... Not too much."

"They're not gonna heal, like that.."

"I know, I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry" I put my hand down on his shoulder, sighing softly.

As we reached my house a sense of dread overcame me. Still, I powered through it and walked around the back of my house, beginning to climb up to my window.

"Stay here, alright?" I whispered to him.

"Alright. Be careful."

I got through the window and lightly walked over to lock my bedroom door. I locked it as quietly as I could so if my dad heard me he couldn't come in. I grabbed my notebook with the picture Kevin had drawn in it, the rest of my clothing and a few books, wrapped inside of my blankets, setting them on the ledge outside my window. I finally walked out and slowly got down from one ledge, to the other, then dropping down to the ground below me.

"Here let me take some of that stuff" He took more than half of my belongings from my arms, carrying them for me

"Thank you, sweetheart" I smiled

We started walking, Kevin generously carrying my things. We arrived at my grandfather's house shortly after. I knocked on the door, my grandfather opening his door for me.

"Thank you again for letting me stay here, I-I really appreciate it." I said as I finally set my things down on the bed in what would now be my room

"Sure thing, kid." He smiled a little, though understandably confused. He knew very little about what led to this "you're always welcome here"

"Alright, I should head out. Both of you have a good night." Kevin grinned

"Good night, Kevin" I quickly hugged him "thank you for everything"

"Night, Sunshine. Night, Sir." He walked out back to his house

"Who was that, again?" My grandfather asked as the door shut

"That was.. my uh.. my boyfriend. Kevin."

"Boyfriend?"

"Yeah.." I held my breath