Vertiginous

A television screen with a rather grainy picture lit up the dark living room. Being in the house alone at night frightened me quite a bit, but having the television on made me feel better. The sound made you feel less alone in the empty house. I'm just used to my grandfather being home ever since he got the weekend off from work due to Christmas. Work vacations are a lot shorter than school vacations are. I wish it weren't that way, as every small noise makes me feel like there's someone now in my house. It's not a comfortable feeling by any means. It's a feeling that makes you turn your head, looking into every ill lit corner to make sure nobody's lurking there.

A knock on my front door made me grab my phone off the table by the couch, and stand up, finally flipping on the lights. I made my way slowly toward the door, letting out a sigh of relief when I realized it was only Kevin. I unlocked the door, opening it for him to come in.

"Hello, Sunshineee!"

"Hi..!" I smiled weakly

"Ohhh! you look so prettyyy! You have beautiful eyes, does anyone ever tells you how gorgeous your eyes are? Because.. wow.. they. Are. So. Nice!" He grinned as he leaned against the door frame. His speech was slurred, but I didn't comment on it, thinking maybe he was as just overtired or something similar to that.

"Uh, Kevin, come in..."

He walked in, swaying a bit

"Um.. what're you doing here? Not that I don't want you here, I love having you, it's just rather late.. Why aren't you home?"

"I wanted to see you..!" He smiled as I shut the door behind him.

"You..uh.. you don't look so good, Kev..."

"I feel reallyyy good."

"Maybe I should call your mom.."

"No! I came here to see youu! She's not even home.." He stumbled a bit, catching himself.

"Are you feeling okay...?"

"I'm feeling great! ....do you feel good? You look good! Ohh my goodness, you're so pretty!" He dangled his arms around my shoulders.

"Uh.. Kev?"

"Yes, Lovely?"

"I'm going to get you a glass of water, alright? You stay right here.."

"Connorrrr..! Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor!"

"Yeah?"

"I'm fine! I'm great! I. Am. Fantastic. Okay? Okay. I'm great!"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes I am, beauutiful! Oh, Speaking of beautiful, your hairrr! It looks so soft, what'd.. did you do it's so pretty!"

My suspicions were confirmed when he leaned in closer, the strong scent of alcohol present in his breath.

"How much did you drink?" I grabbed a hold of his arm so he wouldn't stumble again.

"What..?"

"I know that smell, Kev, it's one I'm very used to. How much did you drink?"

"Sunshineeee! It's not a big deal..!"

"..No. It's not. You're right, it's not a big deal, but I want to make sure you're being safe about it."

"I am! I didn't even have that much, I'm just a fuckin' lightweight" he giggled

"Okay. You've got a good sense of how much is too much?"

"Yes. I do. Thank youuu. I didn't even walk on the side walk..!"