Inebriated

The sound of knuckles on my front door startled me for a moment, until I looked at the clock and realized it was two minutes after eight.

"Grandad?" I called out to the other side of the house.

"Yes?"

"Kevin and I are going to head over to his house now!"

"Have fun!"

"I will. Love you!" I ended the conversation, pulling my shoes on.

I opened the door, the cool evening air hitting me.

"Hey!" I smiled, greeting Kevin as I walked out of the doorway.

"Hi!" He returned the smile.

"Oh my gosh, you got a haircut!" I gasped

"Indeed I did." He chuckled

"Oh, you look so handsome!" I smiled in awe, ruffling his freshly trimmed hair, relentlessly, as he giggled, trying to pry me off.

"Thank you. You look as lovely as ever.. shall we?"

"We shall"

He took my hand in his own, walking me toward his house, the rubber sole of his shoe scuffing on the pavement.

"Are you finally gonna tell me where we're going tonight?" I asked

"Not yet. Then it wouldn't be a surprise."

"Fair enough."

It was already dark, but not terribly. The sun had only set less than an hour ago.

We reached Kevin's house soon, no cars in the driveway.

"Your mother's left already?" I asked

"Yeah. She's out of town, I told you."

"Does she know I'm going to be here?"

"Yeah, of course."

"Okay, good."

He unlocked the door for us, turning on the lights.

"Why did we need to come here an hour early? I don't mind, but uh.. what's the circumstance?"

"We needed to get ready. You look lovely, but you also look about sixteen, which isn't ideal for where we're going."

"Okay..?"

"It's not a bad thing, don't worry. You know that I love your outfits dearly, you look like you're going to a high society brunch, it's adorable, but, we're gonna wear something different tonight."

"I suppose a change can't hurt."

"Fantastic." He waved his hand, indicating for me to follow him upstairs.

I obliged, walking up his carpeted steps, to his room.

He handed me one of his jackets and shirts, allowing me to change into them, leaving my own on his bed.

"How do I look?" I asked when I was done changing.

He smiled widely, putting his hands on my hips, staring at me with awestruck eyes.

"Beautiful." He whispered.

My cheeks turned a rosy shade of pink, trying to suppress a smile by chewing on my lip.

"I'll be damned if you're not the most handsome man on the planet." He smiled, letting go of me before I got the chance to kiss him

"What time is it?" I blushed

"Eight-thirty. Did you eat any lunch?"

"No."

"So it's been around.. thirteen-ish hours since you ate?"